Biology EE data loggers help

kankeel

I am using data loggers for my EE to test the amount of carbon dioxide produced in germination. I have four carbon dioxide sensor. When I have all four on, three of it says that the carbon dioxide concentration in ppm is 322718 whereas one of the carbon dioxide states that the ppm is 2000. Which one should I believe and why are they different? is the setting wrong. Please help very urgent.

Please help me resolve this problem. I have tried a lot of things

Edited by kankeel

I don't have too much experience with them, but I remember when we were working in groups, one of the groups' results was quite off. We think it was contamination of the solution that the group had.

There is a possibility that the last sensor is malfunctioning, but perhaps something unique was introduced to the last plant/soil [i think that's what you're putting it in...?]

If it's possible, try removing one data logger from its plant/solution and placing it into the 2000ppm one. If this isn't possible due to possible contamination, and you can't remove the 2000ppm data logger either, then mark it off as machine error or remove it from the experiment completely.

Oh I should have asked this earlier--is there not supposed to be a lower ppm for it? I assume you're manipulating a variable which could have side effects and cause this.

• 5 weeks later...

This may be kinda obvious and I apologise if you've already done it, but have you checked the models and settings of all the data logs are the same? Generally if you're getting an additional 0 added into your number, it may well be that you have it on a wider range setting (for instance if you were doing electricity that one gave you Watts and the other Kilowatts, that kind of thing). I know when I did my Bio coursework we had a light intensity measure which was way off, and it turned out we had it set to a totally different representation of the range.

The other options would be recalibrating the sensor or swapping it for one which works (if you have that option). Can you not just ask your teacher? He/she ought to know how the sensors operate, one would hope.