Will my English level affect my English B EE ?

chltmffls

Hello :) I'm writing my English B Extended Essay.

Um my English is not very good. For writing, its not that bad but I often heard that my essay are unclear in meaning, imperfect in grammar, and includes awkward use of vocabularies.

I wonder if my English will affect my Extended Essay..since it is English B Extended Essay.

If it does, how much will be affected??

And one more question. I've read one of best 50EE selected by IBO, and I highlighted some sentences which can be useful for my essay. Can I copy this in my essay? I dont mean I'll copy idea or the whole sentence. its hard for me to explain this so I wrote down examples below.

ex: this essay provides a investigation of ____.

My research question is as follows;

In order to answer my research question I have used ____.

This is clearly shown in _____.

As I have mentioned before, ___________.

I thought above sentences can be very useful for my essay..so I used them for my writing. But I'm afraid if I'll be plagiarized and fail in IB.

Can't I even rephrase them?

Thanks for reading. Actually my supervisor does not give much help:(( ..I'm virtually doing this essay myself so your help would be really appreciated >_<;;

Well firstly those bits you selected are all common phrases, so you wouldn't be accused of plagiarism for that - it's only copying large sections which counts as plagiarism, not basic word choice.

Secondly do you not have any english speaking friends? I know we had people do various EEs in B languages at my school and they just swapped around. People doing German EEs had somebody who was German check their language, in exchange for checking the other person's English EE, etc. :) That way very little was awkward, vocab and grammar generally perfect. Really, try and find an english person to go through it for you, and they can show you how to fix up anything you might have said wrong.

Although it's important to have people understand you, a lot of the essay is marked on content, not on the quality of your english. You should be able to find the criteria in the Extended Essay Guide for 2009 (google it).

Hope that helps you, and you can find somebody to check your language for you! Also, kick your supervisor into action, if I were you.

Well firstly those bits you selected are all common phrases, so you wouldn't be accused of plagiarism for that - it's only copying large sections which counts as plagiarism, not basic word choice.

Secondly do you not have any english speaking friends? I know we had people do various EEs in B languages at my school and they just swapped around. People doing German EEs had somebody who was German check their language, in exchange for checking the other person's English EE, etc. :) That way very little was awkward, vocab and grammar generally perfect. Really, try and find an english person to go through it for you, and they can show you how to fix up anything you might have said wrong.

Although it's important to have people understand you, a lot of the essay is marked on content, not on the quality of your english. You should be able to find the criteria in the Extended Essay Guide for 2009 (google it).

Hope that helps you, and you can find somebody to check your language for you! Also, kick your supervisor into action, if I were you.

aww thank you so much :) your response was greatly helpful.

I'll try to find someone who can check my English:))

my supervisor is a bit scary but i'll make her doing some action. After seeing many posts here, I realized that its rly important to get good help from supervisor >_<;;

anyway thank you again :) !!!