EE Confusion

Hello, I'm gonna enter the IB diploma program this September, and I would really appreciate it, if anyone could answer this question. What exactly IS the Extended Essay? How difficult is it? What must I write it about? How does my performance or evaluation in this area impact me?

btw, my courses are:

HL - English, Chemistry, History

SL - French, Physics, Math

I'm not rly sure how to categorise them, using the letter on the site.

I know this is a stupid question, but how difficult will the next two years be, with these courses?

ty

Edited by Unrealistically Real

Your IBC will be sure to explain what the EE entails to you. I didn't really know until the end of my first year of IB what the EE was.

But anyways it's a (maximum) 4000 word essay that you will write upon whichever subject and topic you choose (but the subject must be an IB one). It can either be fairly easy to very difficult depending on how interested you are in the topic, how good of a topic it is, and how much effort you put into it. Your EE plus your TOK essay can give you up to 3 bonus points to use towards your diploma, but only if you get A on both or A and B. Otherwise you get 2, 1 or 0 bonus points.

Your courses are very similar to what mine were, except I took econ HL instead of history and bio SL instead of physics. Maybe we went to the same school because those courses are the exact same ones offered at mine haha.

Your courseload isn't super difficult, it's definitely possible to get 40+ points with them.

• Like 1

Your EE plus your TOK essay can give you up to 3 bonus points to use towards your diploma, but only if you get A on both or A and B. Otherwise you get 2, 1 or 0 bonus points.

It doesn't matter how well you write your EE/do in TOK, just as long as you complete them then? I know this is probably the wrong way to be approaching it.....but writing isn't my strong point and I'm kind of worried about the EE.

It doesn't matter how well you write your EE/do in TOK, just as long as you complete them then? I know this is probably the wrong way to be approaching it.....but writing isn't my strong point and I'm kind of worried about the EE.

I am pretty sure now if you fail EE/TOK you can still get the diploma if you get a certain amount of points from your other sujects (I believe this starts for 2010 students). Not sure of teh exact value it was, I think it may have been close to 28 or 30. I read that in one of the discussion before, though now I can't find it. If I find it I will post it or if someone woudl be so kind as you post it maybe? Before if you failed EE/TOK you wouldn't get your diploma, but since it is changed and as long as you go good in your other subjects you will probabaly do fine and get your diploma.

Edited by Dark Matter

If you fail the TOK and EE, you have to get a 28 or more.

Aim for Cs! Haha and the thing that just amazes me is that my teacher doesn't teach us how to write better essays. He just assigns them, grades them, hands them back, and assigns more. We somehow magically become better writers! It's crazy :)

so meh, I don't know when you graduate, but you'll probably be a better writer when you get to your EE :)

Also, the guidelines for the EE aren't too vague. They tell you what they're looking for. So if you read through the EE guide thorougly, you'll earn the points you need. Maybe not get an A, but you shouldn't be in trouble. =)

Edit: Here's the thing about the 28 points: http://www.norreg.dk/ib/EE-ToK_matrix_from_2010.pdf

Edited by sweetnsimple786

Ooh my bad! I should have reread the pdf I linked to!

Thanks Aboo.

@OP-- I'm taking the majority of the same classes as you at the same levels. Just don't be an idiot like me and goof off in a class for an entire year. The material so far [i have a year left] hasn't been too bad. Most teachers are good at organizing the work load so that you don't stress too much [unless you bring it on yourself] Talk to your friends who have completed IB or one year of it to see which teachers you need to watch out for and whatnot. Nothing's impossible. Best of luck!

If you fail the TOK and EE, you have to get a 28 or more.

Wrong! Fail TOK or the EE, you'd need 28 points to pass. Should you fail both, you fail the diploma.

Good to know. I'm fairly certain I'll be fine for TOK so I should be ok. And as someone else said, I'm bound to improve my writing somehow in the next 2 years....