Body Piercings

Dark Matter

While walking around a small town near my own a friend of mine kept making comments about how my lip ring made me stand out as a city girl and that people around us will think, "Boy, that girl is trouble". So I was curious as to what inital judgement people actually have when they see body piercings of any sort. As well as if all body piercings give off the same message or do certain ones provoke stronger judgement than others. I know people always make inital judgements whether they admit it or not, so go ahead and voice these, I won't be offended as I know people make judgement on way strange things than just piercings.

I have a nose piercing and no one seems to treat me differently because of it. Then again, nose piercings are quite commong and maybe seem more acceptable to people than other piercings like eyebrow/lip, which are more noticeable. I think different piercings show different aspects of a person: belly piercings are very feminine, since those girls often show their bodies off and they project a certain image. Nose piercings may be considered more "hippy-like", since many women in India and ther Asian countries common for backpackers to visit wear them (at leats´´st in my school, it was the hippy-like people that had them, me exempted). Lip and tongue piercings exude a tougher image (since the lips are delicate and having metal in them is quite a contrast). The "tough" image also has to do with where the fad started from: punk rock.

• Like 1

Big tattoos plus more than two piercings [not counting ear and small/medium nose piercings] will make me cringe at first. My pain threshold's miserably low, and I think of how much it might hurt to get it done and freak out.

I like to see how people get different parts of their bodies pierced and still manage to look balanced out. Brow piercings for example. Just on one eyebrow, and you'd think it's asymmetrical, but it somehow works out if it's done artfully.

I'd like to be able to say I don't judge, but when seeing piercings makes me go 'ouch!' then I get intimidated. I don't think less of the person, but I see him or her portraying a tough exterior, as Vvi mentioned. The more I'm desensitized, the less extreme my reaction'll be. And I think that's true for everyone for just about everything.

As much as I'd like to say that I don't judge people from the way they dress and so on, when I see people with lots of piercing I tend to think to myself "Wow, why did they do that to themselves for?" I mean, consciously I know it isn't right to be judgmental, but subconciously I can't really stop myself.

I think that lip rings, or piercings around the mouth, are quiet nice with an appropriate look.

It can be an attractive thing..

I have friends who are guys with belly button ring. And of course, since its somethnig new and associated with women, a lot of our friends in the group are skeptical of it.

I find it funny. cause you think of feminine shapes when you see a sparkle in the belly button area, and then you are faced with a much different physical feature. Still funny, every time I see it :) lol

First off, I think that being judged and judging is inevitable.

When I see piercings, my initial thought is usually one concerning pain, which I think is natural since an object is penetrating the skin. I usually see these people as more laid-back, not really concerned about being political or fitting society's standards as much. It does heavily depend on where the piercing is though. Obviously someone who has their ears pierced isn't going to be judged too much. A cartilage piercing won't gather as much attention as an industrial piercing. It's weird because I don't necessarily dislike lip piercings but I wouldn't get one for myself. I think it really depends on the type of person, because let's face it, Hillary Clinton would not suit well with an industrial piercing.

My school doesn't allow any piercings, unless it's for religious purposes. Many Indian students have nose piercings for religious purposes but another student got a nose piercing for vanity and was asked to take it out. I guess it's not wrong to create that rule but it's not exactly right at the same time. In a way, they try to create an image by suppressing certain stereotypical actions.

This is tough one. I suggest you put up a voting thing in this thread!

Personally, I only have ear piercings which is just normal. I even think that those who don't have ear piercings are weird, although they have different reasons for not. For example, a friend of mine does not have anything pierced, even her ears and she thinks it is completely disgusting because "you have a hole in your body." Well, her point of view makes perfect sense to me. Although, it is a common thing to have piercings on your body parts.

The piercings that I don't mind are: ear piercings and nose piercings.

Piercings that I do mind: eyebrow piercings, lip piercings, those ear piercings that makes your ear go wider and wider (they are usually circular) and bellybutton piercing.

Piercings that I cannot stand: cheeks piercing (one of my acquaintances has one of those… its ridiculous!), nipple piercings, and any other type of piercing anywhere else on the body.

All piercings other than ear piercings for some reason register in my judgemental subconscious as disfiguring. Kinda like a horrible burn or a terrible scar as a result of an accident.

On a totally cultural level, piercings other than ear piercings are "common" and a sign that you're 'lower/working class'. Call me judgemental. I blame society! :)

For that reason, or perhaps I wouldn't've liked them anyway, who knows, I find all piercings (except for the ears) in very bad taste. Definitely I'd never get more than my ears pierced.

I had my ears pierced recently and I'm very satisfied with that, but I'm not going to pierce anything more, it's not really my style. Also, for some reason, it seems more painful than ear piercings.

I know some people with a lot of piercings and tattos etc and I don't really think that looks good. A reasonable amount of piercings on the right person can be pretty, but most people overdo it, in my opinion.

Maybe I'm being judgemental, but as I said, piercings (except earlobe) aren't really my style.

This is tough one. I suggest you put up a voting thing in this thread!

I'll think about putting up a poll of some sort. Need to figure out what I would put first, but I will most likely add one when I do.

I noticed that pain of piercings was one thing mentioned on here when they first see piercings. This probably won't make you think any differently after but I thought I would throw it out there anyways. I have my ears pierced as well as my lip and if I were to say which hurt more ears would be my immediate answer. Perhaps it was the way they were pierced (It was that gun that like shoots the earring directly into your ear, so no needle first, just the earrings piercing it) but the pain was fiery hot and stung for hours after. However for my lip it was an intial sting from teh needle to pierce it and then nothing. It throbbed a bit after the ring was placed in but other than that it was virtually painless. I cannot say if other piercings are like this, and I can certainly say without getting a tattoo myself that those would be dreadfully painful.

I see what you mean and I agree that it is strange. Possibly people think lip/eyeborw piercings etc hurt more than ear piercings because a piercing in the lip is more likely to get stuck in something. And usually people with lip piercings have several others as well, on all kinds of wierd places.

• 2 weeks later...

I only have regular ear piercings, but I want cartilage, bellybutton, and maybe nose, and industrial. Most likely will be getting the nose sometime soon, as I am Indian. I'm definitely getting the cartilage as well, as again, I am Indian. Not to say all Indians get these, but my family does. In India, it is not only low or working class people that get these; almost everyone does.

However, if I got a bellybutton piercing, my family would probably flip. It's a cultural thing, the rejection, and I'm sure it gives off a bad image.

While I know it isn't right to judge a person based on how they look like, it's usually what I do. I usually associate a piercing with pain. It really depends where they are, though. I generally don't think much of an ear piercing. However, a piercing around the eyebrows, mouth or tongue implies (in my opinion) a tough exterior. A nose piercing doesn't really mean much (as they are more common). Tattoos also generally mean the same thing for me. Small tattoos indicate an adventurous person that likes to try new things. Larger tattoos however (which can be painful to get) seem to tell me that the person is tough (perhaps trying to look more dangerous)

I know these are stereotypes but I would be lying to you if I told you I didn't use them. Although, once a person gets to know you, they obviously mean nothing. They only count for first impressions.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Ive got my tongue, navel, & nose pierced.

& on the ears, just 2 cartilage, and 5 others. As well as my waterline and upper eyelids tattooed like eyeliner.. only permanently, but that was forced upon me by my mother as a cultural thing.

Here in Hong Kong.. People actually don't really mind piercings.

& Most of my friends or just generally the people that I meet quite like my piercings.

It's only the older generation of people that can be a little grossed out to see a random metal thing in my tongue.

My dad definitely hates it and asked me why I did it..

It's really simple. It's just personal style. I personally think tattoos and piercings are very sexy... Obviously it depends on what it is and where it is.

I still wanna get some more.. -Industrial, tragus, and and eyebrow piercing. Imma wait till i graduate tho. I'm also planing on a couple tattoos.. Not big ones that stand out and have crazy many different colors. What I want to get means quite a lot to me. But all this stuff, imma leave to decide on weather i do get them or not after I graduate. I don't really want to piss my parents off more than I already have. haha :P

• 3 weeks later...

When my sister got a munroe piercing, the conservative Asian views of my family harshly rebuked her for it. Personally I don't tend to think too much of them or adjust my opinion of people significantly because of them; I interpret it as basically a preference in fashion. Unless someone has like a dozen or more piercings or something like that.

• 3 months later...

I personally think facial peircings are pretty cool :) I was actually suprised about how negatively people here react to them. Still, I would not get facial piercings for myself, but I do have three piercings on both my ears. However, piercings that are not on your face, for example nipple piercings or navel piercings seem VERY painful to me. :blink:

the reason i cant be doctor, is because if there is anything is being inserted in some ones body i start to shake, and shiver of fear, i sort of feel the pain. but it takes a second to get over it. so my initial reaction would just be "ouch, i wonder if it hurts"

i think it doesn't look disfiguring, actually some people look really nice wit a lip piercing.

i'm still scared of piercing my belly this summer :blush:

ok so basically if it's simple and it looks good i'd say it's nice, the time where to me i freak out and feel the pain too much, is when i saw some guy who has 10 piercings in a row on his back. *OUCH* :(

had an eyebrow piercing and also an ear piercing a while ago.. But now I have kind of stopped wearing them.. Im not sure why I stopped wearing them. People always asking me that same question but i guess I just got bored of that look.. Anyway have nothing against girls having body piercings. In fact on some girls some piercings kinda looks hot :P

• 2 weeks later...