Chem Engineering in Uk and Canada

RAfter

Hi

I would like to get into imperial. They seem to have increased the scores from 34 to 39. Do they take students below 39 as i am getting about a 38 with 7 in chem Hl, 6 in phy and math Hl.Are these scores good enough? Do you get any scholarships in Uk and Cananda as many people say you don't for under-grad courses -how far is this true? What are good unis in Cananda for Chem-Engineering and what ib scores do they require. Is IElTS required for a student getting 6 in IB english sl? Are the IELTS fine for Canada or do they prefer the SAT 1. Do you require to write essays for Canada unis other than personal statement.What are dates for applying in the Canada.

Thanks.

Hi

I would like to get into imperial. They seem to have increased the scores from 34 to 39. Do they take students below 39 as i am getting about a 38 with 7 in chem Hl, 6 in phy and math Hl.Are these scores good enough? Do you get any scholarships in Uk and Cananda as many people say you don't for under-grad courses -how far is this true? What are good unis in Cananda for Chem-Engineering and what ib scores do they require. Is IElTS required for a student getting 6 in IB english sl? Are the IELTS fine for Canada or do they prefer the SAT 1. Do you require to write essays for Canada unis other than personal statement.What are dates for applying in the Canada.

Thanks.

I am going into chemical engineering in Canada... I dont know about international students but with those scores in your HL you should be fine. Canadian universities do not require SATs either and the application deadlines fall around january. Most universites DO give scholarships for undergrads......but I am not sure about international students again.

The admissions statistics for ICL are on the site.

"Each year about 1/10th of our new students will come having taken International Baccalaureate exams. For those taking IB our entry requirements are 6 in Higher Level Mathematics, 6 in Higher Level Chemistry, and 39 overall (which can include bonus points). All students have to have an English language qualification, and for IB students we require 5 in either Standard or Higher Level English."

If you're considering Imperial College London for chemical engineering, I would say good luck to you as the admissions requirements are tough, they often reject many 39s so I'm not sure about a 38. If you're looking into good universities in Canada for chemical engineering, I would consider University of Waterloo, Universities of British Columbia or University of Toronto. They are all very good universities for engineering and your IB scores are very competitive for scholarship and admissions.

I only know info about the chem eng program at the University of Waterloo in Canada since my boyfriend and best friend are both in the program. Here's a link for international students looking for admission into engineering there: http://uae.uwaterloo.ca/admissions/index.html

Waterloo is renowned for its math/engineering programs but apparently all the good resources and profs go to the mechatronics and nanotech eng students since they are the "elite" of engineering. So I know that although it is a good program there, my friends often feel shafted when they get profs in incapable first year profs or profs that are grad students themselves.

You don't need SATs in Canada but you may be required to write the TOEFL. And for Waterloo, you'll have to complete an AIF as well, which is a background supplementary application. Your IB scores are definitely good enough to get into chem eng at Waterloo.

HI

I am interested in doing chem engineering. Can some one give advice on which place is best,the IB scores required, SAT/IELTS/ToEFL required, un-conditional/conditional offer. I would like to know about the Co-op in Cananada and is it a paid/unpaid internship. How many years is the degree with Co-op?What are the grades required for fee waivers and scholarship. How are the living expenses in these places.

My predicted grade is 40 out 45. Is it good for scholarship?

Thanks

Keep your questions to one thread only please. Opening up multiple threads won't help your cause.

Are you getting predicted 38 or 40? Universities in Canada offer a partial entrance scholarship that will not cover the entirety of your tuition.

HI

I am interested in doing chem engineering. Can some one give advice on which place is best,the IB scores required, SAT/IELTS/ToEFL required, un-conditional/conditional offer. I would like to know about the Co-op in Cananada and is it a paid/unpaid internship. How many years is the degree with Co-op?What are the grades required for fee waivers and scholarship. How are the living expenses in these places.

My predicted grade is 40 out 45. Is it good for scholarship?

Thanks

University of Waterloo has a co-op chem eng program. It's 5 years in total with the co-op. Your co-op term can either be paid or volunteer (depending on what you find). My best friend is on her co-op term in Nunavut right now, her salary is $12/h and she works from 6am-6pm everyday (but then gets a 1 week break to fly home to Ontario). My boyfriend is on his co-op term working as an unpaid lab research assistant at the University of Toronto chemistry department. It was too competitive trying to get a position there so he had to settle as being a volunteer.

40/45 is good enough to get you an entrance scholarship, but there are no full scholarships. Waterloo is pretty reasonable in terms of living expenses, the dorms aren't super expensive and renting an apartment off campus is about $500/month.