Group 4 project report

Referos

Our teachers want us to write a report on our group 4 project, yet they didn't bother explaining how it should be written and, since we can't ask them during the vacations, our group is quite lost. What exactly should we do? Is it similar to a science lab report, in which we report the method we used, report the data we collected, etc? Our should some "fluff" be added, like the ethical and social implications of our work? Do we need to research anything that could apply to our project? I know this may sound silly, but our teachers just sent us an email in the middle of the vacations basically saying "oh, write the group four report" without giving any help or explanation. If anyone has a sample of a report, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Edited by Referos

The teachers probably haven't been very helpful because the G4 project is literally marked only on teamwork. So the quality of anything you've done is pretty irrelevant, provided it's passable and shows teamwork. I vaguely recall for ours we printed a load of stuff off wikipedia, did a really appalling experiment on pears, printed out some photographs of ourselves in white lab coats looking team-ish and then read off bits of paper to the tune of a powerpoint with flashing pictures :blum:

This is one of those things you don't have to worry about too much. You just need proof you did it whilst working together, and some vague attempt at science.

Mine is written in this format:

Introduction explaining the overall science principle kind of like the abstract

Observations - grouped together. Flora and fauna are separated into their own two tables for clarification (something I learned people going for masters in natural science do. If your teacher has gone to college and done research, they will see this and say aahhhhh). I also placed instrument limitations here, jsut a table of what I used and what range they work at. Also pictures of the group work went here (make them meaningful, like you sampling and if you have to just fake some group effort on the issue. I got filmed during my G4 sample collection so I was nervous out of my mind cause they used excerpts of what we said on the news!!)

Materials - very specific name and identify quantity if more than 1.

Procedures: there are several arguments from various people on whether this should be written like instructions or past tense third person. Whatever you did before for labs and your teacher liked, choose that.

Safety - a good thing to do here is say (another hint from higher level courses from friends in college) start by saying all laboratory procedures should be followed then go into specifics. If you worked with glucose, state that its an irritant and gloves should be worn.

Analysis: do a worked example for standard deviation and explain in words what it is being done, then below do the math...step-step-step by step-step. Here should go any observations (or quantified data that is Manipulated!! If you manipulate information and put it in the observations, that is wrong! You must report it here, even if you have to cut a table in half. I know it mi8ght seem confusing and more appropriate to put it in observations, but dont do it - earn the high grade). Start here by giving standard deviation after you show an example how to calculate it.

Separate things into sections if you need to to make it so clean. If you did several science disciples like me, for example lets say you recorded air temperature and pressure then separate this into two sections then below show a graph of the relationship.

hint**** = kids at my school panicked because they had like a direct relationship with things that are suppose to have a inverse relationship.

When it came time to grading, I was notified the reason I was awarded the perfect score was because I not only mentioned that I had observed an uncanny relationship with oxygen and temperature, but I also used material specifications and other possible explanations to describe the possibilities behind such a relationship. Because everyone else tried to cover up their mistakes, none of my classmates were given the equivalent score, not even my group members who tried to focus on what they thought was the important stuff in science labs.

Conclusion - I just bought an AP chem Lab guide. I actually learned something nice. It said to write this in 3 sections. first talk about the science discipline with a general statement like concentration of calcium was above average.

second talk about the specifics that you found, and what you think can be done better to aid results.

third, talk about error, and also further research can also go here if your second paragraph needs particular good attention (mine did).

Best of luck!! G4 was one of the best things I ever did for IB honestly, because it catapulted me into independent research and I just did research on top the G4, so much that I ended up using G4 to build on principles and disciplines to do my EE. They like to see that you worked off of a previous experiment. Anyways good Luck :blum: !!

• Like 1

Ah, I see. If we only have to write a somewhat scientific text explaining what we did, this makes things a lot easier. I was thinking it should be a serious scientific work, with a quality level similar to the EE! Thanks a lot.

The Group 4 is one of the rare occasions in the IB where you're allowed to do something wierd. Grasp the opportunity and don't take it seriously! :(

• 1 year later...