Biology EE HELP!

IB=hell

Ok. This is the problem.

I have the very vaguest of areas, and I can't see an experimental element. I also don't know how to formulate an essay title.

I'm very interested in teeth. Ideally I'd like something along the lines of "evolution of structure and function of the human jaw relating to dietary needs" ? But I honestly can't see this working out.

Someone please help me =/

I need help.

I really am desperate now and I wish we'd had all the EE info a year ago so we could start it then. Because this is just too much at once.

IB=HELL

You can't experiment evolution, I don't think. Maybe look at the effects of different diet on tooth decay? But even then, you're going to have to come up with an experiment that doesn't require tons of time.

As I said - I can't see an experimental element in this or any other area of ANY interest whatsoever. The only thing to have sparked my imagination is structure of the jaw and teeth.. but that's just a desk study. I like physiological things. I'd LOVE to do something on physiology of horses as the whole purpose of doing my EE in biology is that I want to do Physiotherapy in university in order to become an equine physiothereapist.

I really don't want to resort to doing something simple and boring and of no interest to me.

I really don't want to resort to doing something simple and boring and of no interest to me.

Most of us do! Well, perhaps not simple, but not many people find their EE topics all that interesting. It depends if you want the grade or not.

Short of lacking an experimental side to your EE, Physiology doesn't look like it's going to be the way to go. It is after all a descriptive subject. I have heard of people do Bio EEs and get good markings doing evolutionary analysis of various things (provided you can get enough decent raw data), but it's kind-of a myth as opposed to a reality :blum:

Study the growth of some hormone deficient plant or something nice and boring. Or pick a different area of interest, perhaps? Or a different subject? There must be other things you have an interest in. I mean, when I couldn't find any interesting science issue small enough to be EE-ed, I chose to do mine in Philosophy instead. Worked for me :P

Contrary to popular belief, your science extended essays do not have to include experiments (Although research essays, on average, get lower marks than essays with experiments).

However, if you still choose to do a purely research based biology essay, make sure that you are putting together various studies in order to discover something new... or to explore an avenue which hasn't been explored in much detail...

It shouldn't be something you can find in a regular textbook.

I am afraid this would be the case with the evolution of teeth...

Yeah, you many people don't do their extended essays on topic that particularly interest them... but I really think that if your topic does interest you, you'll probably work hard, do better, etc.

Edited by 1-2-3

Contrary to popular belief, your science extended essays do not have to include experiments (Although research essays, on average, get lower marks than essays with experiments).

However, if you still choose to do a purely research based biology essay, make sure that you are putting together various studies in order to discover something new... or to explore an avenue which hasn't been explored in much detail...

It shouldn't be something you can find in a regular textbook.

I am afraid this would be the case with the evolution of teeth...

Yeah, you many people don't do their extended essays on topic that particularly interest them... but I really think that if your topic does interest you, you'll probably work hard, do better, etc.

When doing a group 4 extended essay the best choice would be something relating to an experiment. A research based science essay will almost certanly lead to just a compilation of secondary resources...which is highly discouraged by IB examiners for group 4 essays.