Math Studies and universities that don't accept it

Emkay

I know that Math Studies isn't good enough for some universities especially outside the U.S. How would a university that does not accept deal with students who took Math Studies applying to their school? I mean do they simply flat out reject them or is there a way to compensate by taking a summer course or so on?

I stayed a week in University of Toronto and decided I might end up applying there. However I took Math Studies and feel like I shouldn't even bother trying ;/. It's not like I knew better... IB is relatively new to Jersey City and my school (the only IB school here and only on its 2nd year).

You could email them and ask if it is grounds of rejection, but I dont think it is. I truly think its they accept you on grounds that you will take Summer classes or they dont care at all. I think you are confusing outright rejection of the course with just a general down look upon it. Math studies is at the bottom of the food chain of the 4 maths offered, that's all. All that means is you have one more math course to take in college.

I actually found it an advantage. Prerequisites fro medicine state that you have to have "one year of college math". That can be like the next thing above math studies. Calculus and Statistics is not a requirement, and some Ivys don't even ask for math at all!

What program are you applying to at U of T?

If you're taking a program where there's a calculus prerequisite, they won't accept math studies (only maths SL/HL). You could always ask them to see if there's anything you can do to make up for it though.

I don't know though because I'm from Ontario so if anyone took math studies here, they would just apply to U of T as an Ontario applicant rather than with IB grades.

• 3 years later...

[size=5]I quite have the same question as well.. since I'm not doing that great in Math SL, I have been told to go to Math Studies.. I don't have any obligations from doing so.. the only thing that concerns me is that would universities in like Canada or the United Kingdom accept Math Studies especially for Engineering? because I wanna do engineering in information technology [software/hardware] and the science subjects I have are SL Physics and SL Chemistry. [/size] :(

[quote name='Mohit Laungani' timestamp='1353698478' post='172573']
[size=5]I quite have the same question as well.. since I'm not doing that great in Math SL, I have been told to go to Math Studies.. I don't have any obligations from doing so.. the only thing that concerns me is that would universities in like Canada or the United Kingdom accept Math Studies especially for Engineering? because I wanna do engineering in information technology [software/hardware] and the science subjects I have are SL Physics and SL Chemistry. [/size] :(
[/quote]

this thread may help you:
[url="http://www.ibsurvival.com/topic/20343-subject-choice-questions/page__hl__+nottingham%20+engineering#entry166280"]http://www.ibsurviva...ing#entry166280[/url]

As stated above maths studies will not satisfy the calculus requirements, so if your course is one with calculaus do HL or SL.

You'll have to check the University IB policy via IBO website or through the University itself.

You have the option to do a foundation year. During a foundation year the subjects which are needed for the calculus base course are covered and more.

Some universities offer extra maths courses alongside courses which require maths because they recognise that not all the students would have had access to/ or have the level of maths the course would require. Again you need to check with the university for this information.

Edited by ChocolateDrop
  • Like 1

[quote name='Mohit Laungani' timestamp='1353698478' post='172573']
[/quote]

Also most engineering courses REQUIRE Maths HL. So if you're struggling with Maths SL to the extent that you've had to drop down to Studies, are you sure you'd be able to cope with an engineering course?? The Maths you need to get in is also Maths you're going to need to be able to cope with and pass the University course.

• Like 3

As long as the rest of your academic career is solid, the university will put away the fact that you took Math Studies. Of course, there are certain exceptions to the rule (no need to elaborate here). If you want to move into engineering or something that requires calculus, you can take calculus in college with 200 other students. Don't forget: you don't need to aim high: in-state universities are fantastic and there are colleges that aren't nationally-known that will accept you. Taking Math Studies isn't a death sentence to your application. You just have to make the other facets of your high school resume sharp and shiny.

Edited by mikeyye

[quote name='mikeyye' timestamp='1353804531' post='172617']
As long as the rest of your academic career is solid, the university will put away the fact that you took Math Studies. Of course, there are certain exceptions to the rule (no need to elaborate here). If you want to move into engineering or something that requires calculus, you can take calculus in college with 200 other students. Don't forget: you don't need to aim high: in-state universities are fantastic and there are colleges that aren't nationally-known that will accept you. Taking Math Studies isn't a death sentence to your application. You just have to make the other facets of your high school resume sharp and shiny.
[/quote]

In the UK, if there is some stated entry requirement and you don't take it (and don't have some realllllly good reason why) it actually is a death sentence to your application.