Too narrowed Topic or Hidden Information...

korean

I decided to do my extended essay in English A1. It was really hard for me to decide my topic because i am not so creative and many other reasons. But i played games since fourth grade of elementary school and i decided to write the essay connected to games and figured the topic "Importance of English in Games" and the research question "The Importance of basic English knowledge for Games".

I recently started to get it started and wrote the Abstract, which is quite easy because we just write starting things from our heads. But then i researched the internet for some materials... nothing found, but its true, who would write something about importance of english in games??.

Basically what i want to write about is how english is important for us to play more easy and we also learn english by interacting with other players and also things like many tutorials in the internet for games but first we should have the basic english language knowledge.

I didn't try but i think that i will not be able to make it to 4000 words... because i am not so writting person, i cant write much.

Or i am thinking about a new topic, but it will be hard because i hardly figured out this one topic.

So what i am asking is do you think i should try it out with my knowledge about games or get a new topic or any other options?

Thanks...

If you are going to do an Eng A1 EE, your EE must be literature based. What you've just outlined sounds more like an Eng B language EE.

By the way, why would you write the Abstract first? It's something you write last! It's supposed to be a sypnopsis of your essay which can only be done after the essay is finished.

If you are going to do an Eng A1 EE, your EE must be literature based. What you've just outlined sounds more like an Eng B language EE.

By the way, why would you write the Abstract first? It's something you write last! It's supposed to be a sypnopsis of your essay which can only be done after the essay is finished.

I had a really hard time figuring out the topic and yes thank you for the advice but i dont know my teacher allowed it.

I'll put it in my mind... so as it was written in the topic (Extended essay for Dummies...) i should now go for making some outlines about what to write in points?

No, I'm just saying you seem to be putting the wrong subject to the topic. Your topic sounds ok, it just fits more as a English B EE rather than an A1 EE. A1 is a literature subject, which means your EE must be about literature. The topic you have above is a language topic. There is a difference. I think your topic sounds interesting if you know what games you're going to use.

• Like 1

In case you're still in doubt [although you shouldn't be as Hien has made it quite clear] the extended essay guide [found here] says

Creative writing and essays based on language, culture and/or society topics are not currently permissible

as group 1 extended essays.

I don't think you're allowed to submit an Englis B essay. I'm assuming you're taking English A1 [if you're not, then you can do an Eng B essay]. Actually, now that I think about it, I'm getting the feeling that you don't take English as your A1 language, in which case you wouldn't want to submit an EE in the Group 1 [your primary language--A1] category.

So if your idea is for an English B EE, then I think you can write 4000 words on it. You'd have lots of primary sources but--like you said--no secondary sources, which isn't too bad. You won't be able to analyze others, and I'm not sure what effects this will have, but I think you can get a good grade on yours.

I think you should make a thorough, detailed outline for the EE. In your abstract, you must have said what you're planning on doing. Now do it. Go through games that are played by many people internationally. To narrow down, say what type of games you're looking at. I assume it's RPGs because you're interacting with other players, but my knowledge of gamers' lingo is pretty limited. Anyways, after you do your outline, I think you'll feel better about the word count. There's plenty to write, and you've come up with something novel, I think. Good luck!

• Like 1