History: Quoting Foreign Sources

Pirat Havelund

Hi everyone - this is my first post here; please be kind. :blum:

I'm currently writing my EE in History. My topic is Anti-Semitism in the Third Reich, and I've chosen to use a lot of primary sources in German.

My question is whether I should note that I translated it, or whether I should just indicate the source as I normally would if it were an English source?

Also, if I've found a translation online for something, I should obviously quote it properly, but should I also note the translator then, and possibly add a link to the source + accessdate?

Thanks in advance.

Hey PH. Welcome =)

You'll want to analyze everything you quote, so it's a good idea to just add a dependent clause or something subtly noting that the following excerpt has been translated. Then you'll want to clarify if anything was lost in translation [unless you don't speak German. Then you'll want to put that possibility out there if you're disagreeing with the original writer] as part of the analysis.

Yes, add the translator. We had to do that for the world lit books, and I assume it's the same here. I don't think you'll need to link to the source in German--just cite as you would if it were an English source. If you're writing it in English, most likely the grader won't be able to read German either :blum:

Edit: typo

Edited by sweetnsimple786
  • Like 1

I know for sayings, you can just quote them without having to cite them because they're pretty well-known.

However, I think you'd have to cite the book and list yourself as the translator in the bibliography/works cited page. Like here's a citation for a WL book:

Esquivel, Laura. Like Water for Chocolate. Trans. Carol Christensen and Thomas Christensen. New York: Anchor Books, 1995.

That's just one format.

Then, when you write the quotation in your actual EE, say something like "I translated this snippet from [insert Book Title], originally in Swedish." Or if you feel uncomfortable with that because your entire paper has a formal tone [which I don't think is the case, right?], then you'd need to be a bit more crafty. Does that help?

Then, when you write the quotation in your actual EE, say something like "I translated this snippet from [insert Book Title], originally in Swedish." Or if you feel uncomfortable with that because your entire paper has a formal tone [which I don't think is the case, right?], then you'd need to be a bit more crafty. Does that help?

I'm trying to keep it formal, yes. Seems like there should be a more elegant way, but I'll just use this for now and then I'll see if my teacher complains about it.

Hmm well context is key. But you could maybe say something like "Informally translated from Swedish to English, 'quotation' arises from a children's book by [author]" or

"[insert author's name], in his/her children's book _______ originally written in Swedish writes __________"

That probably won't work. I don't know what the quotation or the lines around it say, so I can't come up with anything better than shoddy.