Help IB Questions and Info!?

teacupbab3

Hi guys, I have read some of the topics and responses , and I need information and advice !? I am going in grade 8 and after that I plan to attend a school with the IB program. Now the thing is I am worried that I won't be able to keep up and that I will lose my social life , and also drop my grades since IB is harder. I live in Canada btw.I would be going into Pre-Ib which I would need to take a test for , now my questions are: What is on the test? (so i know what to study) How hard wil it be? How hard is Ib itself ? Is it worth it? and any tips ?

Now I saw that most people said that procrastinating is the worse thing you can do, which I don't at all. I am also an honoural students I got all A's but 2 b's which one of them was in in gym . So do I have a change to survive in IB?

Please and Thanks :P:(

You're such a young 'un. Stop worrying about your life when you're in Grade 8, it's not the age to get worry lines all over your face.

FYI, Pre-IB is a North American concept. As far as I know, no two tests to get into 'Pre-IB' would be the same. It would help if you mentioned the school that you're gunning to attend, and maybe someone from that school might be able to help you out.

Social life, it's not that bad. If you're looking to party every night and get smashed, that's not going to happen. You shouldn't do that in any academic program anyway, but going out on a Friday night can be done without affecting anything in your academic life.

And of course, you do have a chance to survive. Since you're in Canada, you should be doing your regional program as well as the IB concurrently, so if anything adverse were to happen you can always drop IB.

And lastly, nearly all the active members on this forum are doing the actual IB diploma programme. And largely, their anecdotal experiences are slightly exaggerated (after all, we do have to bitch somewhere) so don't be too alarmed.

If you're in 8th grade, you're still quite a ways off from dealing with the IB Diploma Program.

I say this is the nicest yet firmest way. You do not need to worry about not having a social life in IB. You're not there yet.

Also, you said that you've read some threads on here. Have you taken a look at this one: ?

In addition, if you're still itching for more information, go to this thread:

You have to keep in mind that IB isn't constructed for geniuses. Just about anyone who wants to do IB can succeed if the individual has the necessary resources. Good grades are important, no doubt. But you've got to want to put forth the effort to do IB. When it's easy, when it's hard. Also, a big thing is taking responsibility. IF you never procrastinate, that's amazing. But even if you do and you learn from it, you'll be fine.

Like I said earlier, I don't think you need to be worrying about IB except for one thing. Take the most advanced classes you can. They'll help you in the long run. No, don't get a tutor to get ahead in maths. Just take advantage of the classes your school offers. Also, keep your options open. If you're focused on a career in the sciences, you might never take that web design class and find out you love it! Haha that was a stretch, but I hope you get my point.

I don't know what's on the test, but I can't imagine that it's something you have to study so diligently for.. what? 2-3 years in advance?

Honestly, don't worry about this yet.

I live in Canada too (Ontario, to be more precise). My grades got better after I started IB. I still went out to movies, to parties, shopping, and dates with my boyfriend while in IB. Please don't worry about this stuff yet.

And the pre-IB test differs for each school. My test required us to provide 2 teacher references, write an essay about why we want to be in IB, and take a standardized test (the CAT or something like that).

IB isn't difficult per se, it's more that it requires a lot of hard work, which a lot of people aren't willing to do so that's why it sounds really hard.

I am from Canada (ON) too...and I agree with __inthemaking....grades increase when you`re in IB (grade 11 and 12) in Ontario. Pre-ib is the same as the normal program courses just a bit faster. I dont know about the test since my school didnt require it.

Edited by master135

• 3 weeks later...

A lot can happen between grade 8 and IB1 (grade 11 I presume?). Don't worry about it so early, see how you feel when you get there. I never had to write a test to get into pre-IB but I doubt it'd be anything you could study for, it would probably just be testing your general knowledge and could be similar to an IQ test - I had to do one to get into the school I was at for grade 10.

This is true, you shouldn't be worrying about this stuff right now. Now, all you have to do is have fun with your friends and do an amount of work that will keep your grades up; there is no need to go overload.

I was like you before, though, I used to always vex about the future. For your pre-IB I think they would most certainly test you on math and english, so maybe looking a bit into the SATs might help. Why don't you go to freeexampapers.com and see what they have there? You might find something useful?

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, it is very very weird to have you here.

I mean come on, you are only in 8th grade. I do respect that you are concearned about your future and all that, but this is too early to be worried about such things! Take it easy.

I also never procrastinated in 8th grade, you still have time to learn how to do that, don't be so assured of yourself. We are all human beings, we change over time.. we grow, we become better or worse.. I don't even know what to say. Don't worry about IB!! Enjoy your life!