EE in biology

Lara.z

Hello! I'm doing my EE in biology and the last draft has to be handed in by the end of this September. Since we're the first IB batch of the school, I obviously don't want to totally rely on the teachers and staff because we're all new to the IB system. My bio EE question is related to human skin fungal growth. I will be testing which conditions (pH, temp, moisture) promote the most growth on a specific fungus species. Please I would appreciate any advice... after reading a few threads i found my question quite simple and not specific enough. ADVICE NEEDED!

I think the topic sounds fine. How is it not specific enough? As long as you pick one species of fungus and use the variables you described, it will be fine. Although you probably won't be able to actually grow th fungus on human skin (unless you've got friends willing to be guinea pigs?), so you'll have to culture the fungus in petri dishes.

And simplistic it may be, but simpistic can often be effective. Many people try to come up with "original" topics that are beyond the scope of the equipment available to an Ib student, and that are too theory-based. Your EE is largely practical, which is good.

• Like 1

Your topic actually seems really interesting, imo. :) Maybe I'm weird but I'd actually read your final copy, hahaha.

Have you read the marking scheme yet? The RQ isn't worth a lot. As long as it's focused and has a purpose (i.e. don't do a topic that has absolutely no relevance), you'll be fine. Pay more attention to your experimental method/protocol, method of obtaining data, data analysis, and of course, your conclusion and evaluation. Those two are the biggies as your goal is to explain your findings, but also to realize the limitations of the experiment. There's also some random stuff that you can gain points on like the way your essay is formatted or something... I don't remember. :P

Thanks for reminding me though, I still have to upload my essay, haha.

Edit:

Although you probably won't be able to actually grow th fungus on human skin (unless you've got friends willing to be guinea pigs?), so you'll have to culture the fungus in petri dishes.

I thought it'd be more... culturing fungi FROM human skin. Most bacteria don't do well in low pH conditions (trust me, I know haha). Fungi grow much slower too, but it's still manageable. Also be careful of your controls e.g. are you planning to use one strain of fungus or multiple different strains? You want to keep your controls consistent and very strict, otherwise, there won't be much use in your findings.

Edited by Irene
  • Like 1

If you buy cultures of mushrooms..Make sure you ask for instructions.

I had to order agar crap with mushrooms, and they sent like nothing but a syringe.

In the end they had to ship me 2 more orders of it, because I failed to see what I was suppose to do.

Plus some places have cultures specific to their instructions.

Sporeworks is a good place to order from online. It has some great diversity, but ask for instructions.

Biochem - are you doing your experiment at your school or some sort of laboratory?? I don't think schools have autoclaves for sterilizing... which, if not done, could cause a lotttttt of trouble.

OP - you probably want to order the most common + simple type of agar to mirror the medium of human skin. Airborne fungi spores rarely have the opportunity to grow on something like blood agar or LB blah blah blah. :P

• 5 weeks later...

thank u all for reassuring me (l0l)... it's been about a month now... OMG. I've been taking this very gradually, however, I was only able to begin my experiment yesterday (unfortunately). Yesterday I encountered problems regarding my experiment. I think I need a bit of advice, but I am worried about posting my problems on the forum and when my EE gets moderated, marks are deduced for plagiarism or something. I would rather keep my ideas to myself, or is it safe?... however is there anyone kind enough to give me personal advice...? Anyone know much about colorimetry :-S...

*cries* :'(

I might be able to help if you meant calorimetry. I know almost nothing about colorimetry though. And you shouldn't get in trouble as long as you turn in work that is genuinely yours. We won't give you answers but we can guide to the best of our abilities.

PS We all go through high and low points. Don't fret too much! Good luck. =)

Edited by sweetnsimple786