Zahid's Thread of awareness.

Zahid Ladha

Hello everyone, My name is Zahid and I have just registered a few mins ago, I am confused where to begin.

So, I just decided to start a new topic, and maybe you people out here could help me.

I am going to be starting my IB Programme in August this year and I would like all you experienced people to help me by telling me the kind of things I should avoid and mistakes done by you so that I do not repeat them in my school life.

I also have another concern, I do not know whether I should take Chemistry as a HL subject or take Geography(I.G.C.S.E) or History (No Background) as a HL subject, I also have the option of Maths (HL) or ITGS (HL). Please advice.

In addition, I would like you to advise me if I should write to colleges or universities about their admission requirements or such kind of stuff?? Dont know!! I am confused.

Any noble help will be appreciated!

Thanks for your time!

Zahid

If you go into engineering then you should take chem, physics and math all at HL, if that's possible. But I have friends in engineering who took chem HL but physics and maths at SL (our school doesn't offer those subjects in HL) and got into engineering fine. It really depends on the requirements of each uni though. For business, you don't need chem at HL, but keep your econ HL. Most business courses are okay with a maths SL.

I'm currently in pre-med in Canada.

If you go into engineering then you should take chem, physics and math all at HL, if that's possible. But I have friends in engineering who took chem HL but physics and maths at SL (our school doesn't offer those subjects in HL) and got into engineering fine. It really depends on the requirements of each uni though. For business, you don't need chem at HL, but keep your econ HL. Most business courses are okay with a maths SL.

I say don't try to make life harder than it is. Math, Chem, and Phys all at HL [although people do this] might be an unnecessary burden.

I think it's almost ludicrous to have to decide what field you want to go to and what university you want to attend, but planning is good. And necessary for many universities. If you want to go to a US university, you don't have to take all three at HL for engineering. You don't apply to a program at most US universities. If you're accepted into the uni, you have access to all majors/courses they offer.

So yes, definitely look up unis with good engineering and/or business programs or departments. Then look at their requirements. Like __inthemaking said, most if not all of the information will be on their websites.

Advice? You'll learn the best from your own mistakes. They're worth making, trust me :P

But I guess keep up with the syllabus for each course. Keep track of deadlines, but don't harass the teacher to death. Let him/her introduce assignments in a timely manner. Procrastination makes the world go 'round. It's terrible, but it's nice. Just have to find your own limitations. All work and no play makes for a dull life. Also, start doing CAS now. DO NOT save gathering the signatures for last minute; you'll go crazy. Fill out an activity sheet and get it signed for each unique activity you complete. Pick classes you like. Try to like the classes you've picked once you have picked them. Your attitude toward something affects how you interact with it. Makes a huge difference. Also, for the sciences, don't write up lab reports/practicals last minute. Put plenty of effort into them. Don't let IB make you a hermit unless you prefer it like that. Oh yeah, and wear clean clothes everyday :)

Best of luck!

I want to study Business or/ either go into Engineering. I really dont know which type of engineering. Everyone asks me that, lol

Which course are you studying? and where? You took subjects just like me except for Biology!

I'd also like to go into business in uni,I have one more year of IB left

my school made it mandatory to do english and chem HL and then we got to choose our last HL course - it's either History or Economics

i chose Econ mainly because of what i want to study

how many HL courses can you take? and what are your options?

Hi Zahid, I appreciate your cluelessness but I feel this thread doesn't belong here so I'm going to move it and change the title to something that reflects the content more. That said I hope you hang around and get the awareness you need as you seem the IBSurvival type XD