What do you want to be when you grow up?

Caitlin

hey man im desi as well, if you know what that means lol. anyway all desis do hl maths and sciences :blink: AND get pressured into doing medicine etc.

for all those non-desis out there, it is an affectionate term used by Indians to describe themselves amongst other Indians  :)<br />

I thought desi is a place name in India? I have an Indian friend and he said that my name is like a place in India :)

and yeah I think India has a lot of mathematicians.

I also wanted to be a graphic designer! but I think that it is not that promising :P

Edited by R&B not I&B

I want to be a fairy! and own ponies and grow rainbows in my backyard!

haha ok this is GD I shall post something serious.

I've graduated and have a Uni degree but I'm having the worse life crisis! I don't know what I want to do with my life, other than travel :blink: and not stupid job traveling. Actually enjoying my time abroad, and roam about from country to country for months at a time :)

so my choices are narrowed down to studying EU politics and economics, or development and enviro studies at the moment. what do you guys think?

On a serious note, then: I'm gonna be a writer. Maybe the starving, dying-young-in-a-filthy-flat-type writer, but a writer.

Haha, life crisis. May this be your greatest worry in life... but honestly, you should be a foreign correspondent. I know this. Oh, and read The Imperfectionists.

click on the reply button when you want to reply to something :blink: so that people aren't confused about what the hell you're talking about!

we'll see about the foreign correspondent. I find the media boring to be honest. I want to be the person they write about, not the person who writes about others. too much of a doer to give in to a life of writing about what happens in the world.

On a serious note, then: I'm gonna be a writer. Maybe the starving, dying-young-in-a-filthy-flat-type writer, but a writer.

Haha, life crisis. May this be your greatest worry in life... but honestly, you should be a foreign correspondent. I know this. Oh, and read The Imperfectionists.

click on the reply button when you want to reply to something :P so that people aren't confused about what the hell you're talking about!

we'll see about the foreign correspondent. I find the media boring to be honest. I want to be the person they write about, not the person who writes about others. too much of a doer to give in to a life of writing about what happens in the world.

zzz is this attitude born out of some emotionally charged experience? I hated the idea of it too until I read Krakauer's Into the Wild.. don't ask me to explain why, but it made me think of being a war correspondent. In any case, you can speak Arabic (can't you?), so you have a clear advantage when it comes to the Middle East, where news is happening. If I could speak the right dialects I would go to Tibet and pay for my trip with articles and then write a book. All sorts of exciting press experiences that almost seem to leave no room for not writing a book :-), think of Hemingway (just please don't write like him, otherwise I will be fatally unable to read your book).

Guest Red XII

I know it's the question we all dread second most in the world (the first being 'So, finished that Extended Essay yet?' :yahoo: ), but I thought I'd make a thread for us to compare and contrast our dreams for the future.

Ah, the Extended Essay question. I'm procrastinating that becoming a yes...even though it has to be by tomorrow.

Anyway, I'm not quite sure what I want to do.

I'm interested in both law and business, so my plan right now is to go into business, law, or business law.

Ultimately, I want to have a lot of money, so whatever I do will have to carry a high income. That's really the biggest thing stopping me from trying to write professionally, as I love writing and working from home would be great for me. I'd rather do something that I enjoy doing on a regular schedule and that will make me rich than something that I enjoy doing but that will leave me poor, so business, law, or business law (I love how that sounds :P) it is.

I want to be a graphic designer. :o My dream job, though, is acting. Not going to happen, lol. Too much competition! But my second love is the visual arts, and I'm told creativity is a strength of mine, so graphic design feels right for me. My family thinks it's a cop-out job, but that's because they're Arab and the only suitable jobs in their minds are doctors/lawyers/engineers/business. Oh well! If graphic design is my passion, I'm going to follow it to the end. :)

lol im not arab but my family is the same except the options are sort of narrowed down to just DOCTOR

haha my family is indian and they are pretty much like that. well mostly my mom and it's usually just doctor or engineer :P . My dad justs want me to do something math or science or computer related. But I still have no idea what I want to do :rolleyes: .

I would love to be a writer and actually make a living off it,

but mostly likely I would end up with either a job in IT(Information Technology) or Marketing and write as a hobby.

:D Its funny, it seems like all parents want their kids to become Doctors and Lawyers.

hmm...I often hear from my peers how their parents want them to be doctors or lawyers, and how they have different ambitions.

It's quite the opposite for me.

My parents want me to go into business or even journalism (I'm a great writer), but I'm more geared towards Medicine as I find sciences and math quite intriguing. I'd like to see myself as a neurologist or neurosurgeon sometime in the future, the human brain has always fascinated me. Along with that I'd like to spend a few years, after i graduate from medical school (after having paid off my student loans of course) and before I retire, working for Doctors Without Borders. I've heard its a great program and I'd really like to get out there and help people. Anyone else have anything similar in mind?

Edited by notenoughsleep

I know that in the future I'll become some type of writer. Right now I've "narrowed" it down to freelancing, more specifically travel writing, probably for a big online publication like Matador. This is seriously my dream job; I could see myself travel writing for a good portion of my life.

My only concern is to make enough money so as to not give my mother a heart attack when she sees so much work in IB gone to waste. :D

I want to become a heart surgeon :) i always wanted to be one

just love how the human body ticks

i dont really mind being a general physician as well

anything to do with the human body is good for me 8-)

i will also probably be a doc since ive been given an offer from Newcastle with not so bad conditions :P

• 1 month later...

Apparently when I was a baby my mum stood over my crib whispering 'plastic surgeon plastic surgeon, give mummy a porsche' or something like that :P but it seems she also has a small hope that I go to Cooper Union and do architecture or something... In any case, I want to either become a psychiatrist or, in my crazy make-believe world, an incredibly successful living-in-New-York artist... but every few years or so I jump between thinking that becoming an artist is insane to thinking it wouldn't be such a crazy idea and would be really enjoyable instead... something about creating something out of nothing has always really appealed to me in the art side of things. Also working in Japan as an English teacher would be pretty brill :D

So, I have said I want to be either a psychiatrist or artist or English tutor, but I ultimately predict I will become an academic, teaching at some University somewhere. It's in my blood :(

When I grow up I want to be... big?

In chronological orderrrrrrrrrrr..

-Finish with the IB

-I'm thinking of Environmetal Engineering and/or Astronomy/Astrophysics so...

-Apply for scholarships in Germany and/or MIT and/or UC Berkeley

a. Scholarship for MIT ---> MIT NO DOUBT!

b. Scholarship for UC Berkeley --> UC Berkeley :)

c. Scholarship for Germany --> Study in Germany

-Finish my career, be the best of the class.

-Have good job offerings, get liike 3 billion bucks a year :) :) :)

-Find my soul-mate (have him find me, as well), marry him.

-The rest comes by inercia

-Finally, die in a star cluster :P