First-Aid Training Count as Action or Creativity?

Would the following skills that are being learned be considered as action or creativity?

The the Standard First Aid and Emergency First Aid courses include five core lessons (four hours).

1. Emergency Scene Management

2. Shock, Unconsciousness and Fainting

3. Choking (Adult)

4. Cardiovascular Emergencies and One-Rescuer CPR (Adult casualty)

5. Severe Bleeding

-I am learning new skills

-There is a physical component

Could it be counted as both?

Thanks for your help guys.

This is a program where you learn what to do in emergencies, right? You are not actually applying the kowledge in this case, so it is definately not service.

It can definately count as both Creativity and Action (the amount of hours can be determined by you or by your CAS Coordinator, but basically just do half-half). Most activities/programs I do for CAS are combined in 2 or even 3 categories, so it is normal, don't panic :P

I agree with Peachez. You can count it as either or both. But it's only four hours, so unless your C and A hours are perfectly balanced and seem to stay that way, I don't see the point in splitting up the four hours.

Creativity because, like you said, you're learning new skills. You're being put in situations, even if they are simulated, where you must think and act calmly and rationally. In the future, you may have to recall on these skills and implement them differently according to the circumstances. BS like that :P

And it's action because you're not just sitting in a chair and taking notes.

• 5 months later...

I think you should put it to the either Action or Creativity depending on where you need the hours most and how much exercise you did, if you really want to split it up. ESM, shock and severe bleeding would probably fall under creativity, while there is not denying the action aspect of CPR and choking.

• 1 month later...

Sorry, but it doesn't count for Action. Think of it this way. Action means you have to sweat. That's it. This could count as service if you then joined the cadets for St Johns or something, but right now, creativity is about the only thing you can count it for, if at all.

Sorry, but it doesn't count for Action. Think of it this way. Action means you have to sweat. That's it. This could count as service if you then joined the cadets for St Johns or something, but right now, creativity is about the only thing you can count it for, if at all.

^ You don't sweat when you're in a weightlifting program. Surely not all Action is limited to cardio?

I think it would count as Action. Remember, "learning new skills" is a learning outcome that can be applied to any CAS activity. You are out and about and moving to some extent, so even though it's not a full-blown sport it should still count as Action. I don't think there's an IB difficulty requirement for Action hours. I'm in a hiking club and the teacher that started it suggested we could use it for Action hours, despite the activity itself being incredibly easy.

When it comes down to it, its categorization depends on what your coordinator deems acceptable. Why don't you just write him/her an email?