Spanish ab initio oral

Hi, I have my Spanish ab initio oral (descrive a visual stimulus) in a week. I really want to get a good mark our of 30, hopefully a 7. Between now and then I am making sure that I will be able to cover everything. I know a lot of vocabulary and can achieve successfully good grammar features. E.g. for a photo in 10 minutes without dictionaries or resources, I can say what the photo is about/of, what is in the foreground/centre/right/left/background using vocab and prepositions, what something is doing, describe the main thing of the photo, describe weather if applicable, personal input: e.g. I have seen... I have been to... (just something related to the photo and I say what happened and led me to be reminded of the photo, and how that real life experience is related to the photo), then say what I like about the photo and why, then finish with 'Esa es mi descripción'.

Is this all good to get a 7 or is there something else I should include? My pronunciation is fine so no worries there. If what I have done above is adequate to get a 7 then I just need to practise performing orals on photos without writing stuff down.

That sounds about right. That's all that you should need to get a good mark. You need to speak with fluency, just make sure that your accent is good and that you sound coherent. Try to vary your vocabulary; don't use a descriptive word more times than necessary.

You could try to say that the photo is like one of your own experiences in life. If you get a photo of a family, maybe say it's your family and take it with that? You're not restricted. I had the photo of a family in my oral, and I said they looked American because they were fat. Still got a 6 :D

I remember we had to do this for our GCSE (kinda very similar to an AB language, I expect) and I found the best thing for any sort of narrative or descriptive exercise when given a visual stimulus was practice. Inevitably the same sorts of things repeat themselves, and if you can learn a set of stock phrases, you're usually all set. You sound extremely well prepared to me, as Aboo mentioned -- practice is the best thing to help improve spontaneity and fluency.

Shouldn't you say "that was my description" at the end? Or perhaps something a little less stilted? Not that I think it would probably matter too much, seeing as it's only AB :) For instance, perhaps something like "en conclusion, me parece.... (interesante/mal etc. etc.)" and then your opinion? It's a very good idea to have a little finishing phrase though XD

Thanks guys! Well the oral is in two days now... Yesterday I practised a lot. But I still read from what I've wrote almost completely, which isn't good for the fluency. I worry that I won't be able to make an excellent description if I don't write it all out, because I struggle being spontaneous without a script in any situation.

Do we get to choose a photo? Out of how many? Does it matter if you describe for over the prescribed time?

I got to choose between two. However it depends on the teacher. They may just give you a photo.

Don't worry about writing it all down, that's what I did for my IOC in English A1. Do it whichever way that you find comfortable. I wrote a couple of sentences for mine, as well as loads of buzz words which I could elaborate on in the course of my speech.

You're really not going to be over your prescribed time, since when you start speaking you run out rather quickly. If you do though, the teacher will stop you or cut you in between. Since there is going to be a part when they question you.

Well, once you've done all the exercises, there is nothing you can do except be confident on the day. For my last oral exam, I messed up slightly because I was so nervous. Just be confident and you'll be fine. Also, if you make a mistake, don't stop and try to fix it. This will get you worked up. If this happens, just continue talking and pretend it didn't.

Anyways, good luck for everyone doing oral exams!

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I got a 6 or 7. It went perfectly until I realised I'd made a trip-up on words. Everything else was great, including the conversation, and it was very flowing, but I stupidly said '...comida mejico..no, la comida de mejicano'. It was a toungue tied moment, I was just trying to say comida mejicana. So I'm not sure, it may have put me down to 6.

• 4 weeks later...