UK Applications

herong2x

Good day. I am currently an incoming IB Year 2 student where our schoolyear starts Aug.24. After my IB, I am very interested to apply in UK universities. I am aware that the UCAS Applications in the choices of my universities start September 15 to October 15.

I have also read Aboo's thread about UCAS Applications which helped alot. However, I am not very sure whether I should start applying in 2009 or 2010 since I am a May 2010 candidate. I prefer applying through UCAS in September 2010 since then, the results of my externals will be available which will narrow my choices down.

Please help me in deciding whether its better this year or next. Thank you.

you start applying in 2009, you can't start your application till mid/end of september because UCAS will be busy with sorting out clearing students <insert date here> look the date up in UCAS. If not then most university applications end in January 14/15th

Apllying in September will mean that you will only have an option to go through clearing, and that won't allow you a lot of good options for your courses. Unless you're expecting something like a 24-28 I don't think this is a good idea. talk to your IBC/Uni counselor and see what they expect from you and then base your choices on those expected grades if you're at loss

good luck

Don't apply in 2010. Apply between September and January this year (unless you're applying to Oxbridge, in which case you have to apply by the 15th of October), and use your predicteds to get your offers. Should you not meet them, then go through clearing.

If you apply in September 2010, you can only go to uni in 2011. Because applying fresh in September will automatically place you as an applicant for 2011 entry.

I would advise you to apply now in September, which means you will start university in September 2010. If you only apply in September 2010, you will be forced to take a gap year. Do you have any plans for a gap year?

If you don't get into the universities you want to get in to now when you apply, you can reapply in 2010 if you really want to. And everyone would obviously prefer to wait until they have their IB results before applying, but that's not how the UK system works. You apply, are given conditional offers, and then see if you get in. If you get better results than expected (e.g. you were predicted a 32 and get 40, then decide you want to reapply to some better universities), you can always decline offers from universities (even if you have accepted them) and reapply the next year.