Should I be worried?

CarrieC

I know that both our subjects are Psychology. In no way did I copy hers, or vice versa. I know she once said that her topic is going to be "The Human-Animal Bond" and my topic is on "Animal-Assisted Therapy". Would there be any problem at all that they might mesh on the same area?

That is the supervisor's job. As long as he or she knows that your EE is from you, then you'll be fine. The EE grader will read numerous EEs. It's not inconceivable that two or five or twenty are in some way related to your topic. It's the spin you put to your EE topic and the insightful comments and research that you show that'll make you stand out. I wouldn't be too worried about it, but I would want to make sure I make mine as original as possible.

As long as the examiner can tell you both havent discussed over the essays together (ie. not suspiciously similar) you should be fine. This year I knew 2 kids doing an economics extended essay on the local transit...and didnt face a problem. Check with your IB coordinator anyway.

Don't read ecah other's EE's, even just to check that they aren't similar. Leave that to your supervisors. If you do it, you will subconsciously pick up on some of her ideas, which you will end up including in your EE.

Anyways, everyone approaches EE's from a different angle, discussing different aspects, using dissimilar examples and writing in their own individual style.