physics extended essay topic

Awail

When people ask for help about their topics, they usually give us more information. We're technically not allowed to give your your experiment, but we can guide you if you give us something to work with. Just 'elasticity' isn't enough. Were you thinking of rubber bands and their tensile strength or elastic modulus at different temperatures? I don't know what you mean by time period... Please provide more details of what you want to do or what you're interested in. Not just skimming the top of something general but give me something that shows you've at least thought/researched.

G'luck with your topic.

• 4 months later...

hey

sorry for the very very very late reply man. I ended up doing it on the effect of time period on elastic. What I mean by time period is that whether a wire will extend with time given that the load on it is constant. I know this results in a negative answer. The time does not really effect the extension. Do you think there is a problem with EE that end up in disproving a relationship rather than establishing one? I restructered the question to say whether there really exists such a relationship? I hope I didnt screw it up!!!

Thanks

I'm not sure I understand...

So a metal wire already has a load on it. It's in static equilibrium already. You want to know if after some time, the wire will elongate? or are you adding the load and then trying to construct a simple harmonic motion type thing?

If it's the first one, well, that seems more like the effects of an erosion-type thing. Certainly not erosion, but I can't think of the right word. With elasticity, doesn't that reply a reciprocal force upward if there's a downward force? And a negative answer seems to indicate the opposite effect [that is, over time, the wire will move up], which isn't really physically possible...

I don't know what to say. Can you say what you did exactly?

Well basically I started investigating a relationship that does not exist in reality( that's what I meant by negative answer. my experiment is really simple I load the test wire with a load and check the elongation. After some time I check if the wire has elongated to a different length(remember the load has not changed). so with a constant load I am checking whether the wire will still strech after some time. with a pretty precise intrument I see that even though the load is constant on the wire the wire will streth a few millimeteres at each time interval. unfortunately this experiment will still have around 25% error. I guess it is something like erosion but in my research i wasnt really able to find out anything about it(there is elastic fatigue but thats something completely different it seems). so ya i understand this experiment sound unclear cause really there is no solid physics behind it. its like the question: whether the wire holding some object will eventually break after some time. except i am not really waiting for it to break(lol ill probably never finish IB then). its more of whether it will start to elongate after some time. Of course such a phenemenon can be observed as I enter plastic deformation but as long as its elastic its tough luck

Haha sorry I don't know what to say. I don't know how you'd word your experiment for your EE. Are you still flexible? Can you look at tensile strength or something like that? The idea would have to change. Time wouldn't be your independent anymore. Either the material of the wire/object would change or the weight would change. I have some suggestions, but they don't relate to your main idea, so I can't really help you out. Man now I kinda wish I was doing a physics EE on calorimetry, except I'd have to do a massive lab report for it. Fail.

Lol i know. I am making my research question something like Does there exist such a relationship and my conclusion will be nope sorry there is absolutely no relationship. I initially thought it was a unique idea but realised it s kinda stupid one. I dont have time cause my school, in a hurry to focus on Final Exams wants to get EE done by Jan 11. How about you, what's your ee on?