Is my EE topic in English A1 too broad?

Eji

Please don't hijack someone else's thread. You can start your own topic.

Edit: Firstly I want to say that I haven't read either book. Second thing. There isn't anything inherently wrong with the topic. However, when I read it, I think "What about it?" What about the role of women? Do the authors point out some big thing--some theme or problem with society--by making the women's role in these books [insert role here]? I know you'd introduce that later, but I don't know if anyone can really comment on your topic without knowing something more specific.

Edited by sweetnsimple786

I haven't read the novels either, so am also not really in a position to comment - what I would say is that "the role of women" is A) rather overdone and B) slightly descriptive. Not that either of these disqualify it from being an excellent essay at all, but in my opinion you'd probably find it easier to be more analytical and may even find it more interesting to take a mildly different position on it. For instance "the presentation of women" or "the use of women [by the author]".

It's just my opinion, but I think examining the roles of the women as part of an overarching motive of the author would be more interesting to do. That and it would be different from the norm XD As I say, though, the "norm" isn't necessarily something to be avoided. You can still score highly.

I haven't read the novels either, so am also not really in a position to comment - what I would say is that "the role of women" is A) rather overdone and B) slightly descriptive. Not that either of these disqualify it from being an excellent essay at all, but in my opinion you'd probably find it easier to be more analytical and may even find it more interesting to take a mildly different position on it. For instance "the presentation of women" or "the use of women [by the author]".

Yes, be sure to avoid descriptiveness.

Remember that there says somewhere in the criteria that you have to show "why the topic is worthy of investigation", so you have to mention the imnportance of the women. Also, do as Sandwich said and write for instance about "the use of women" or "the techniques used to portay women" or "the different roles of women" or whatever.

You cannot use these books for English A1 because both books were written in a language other than English originally. The House of the Spirits was first written in Spanish and The Sorrow Of War is Vietnamese literature. For an English A1 you must have at least one author/novel who wrote/was written in English originally, which you can then compare to a world literature. You will have to use different books, I'm afraid.

• Like 1