Addictions due to IB

Fezz

Hey guys,

so I was talking on msn with a couple of my friends as usual and I noticed that one after the other sends me the following message: "brb, going for a cig".

Now most of my friends havent been smoking pre-IB and when i asked them why they started they tell me it calms them down and is just a general break from work. I´m not saying IB makes smokers or anything but I noticed that alot of people tend to rely on something to make it through IB, whether it be cigarettes or coffee. Even when you read through the forum here, alot of advices say that coffee is the way to go. Another thing I noticed is people gaining weight during IB years, might sound awkward but I always wondered if thats just because they eat more or whether this is also caused by stress.

So basically my question is if that happened to any of you, I mean picking up (bad or not) habits you havent had before due to the IB.

I personally have nothing against smoking but I rather workout to calm myself down or whenever I need a break, its healthier and cheaper. ^^

Peace.

Eh, I don't think you can say IB creates addiction because kids are going to try things regardless--some pick up addictions in the process. Yes, I've noticed increased use of drugs, cigarettes, and alcohol among my peers but none are no where near addiction.

• Like 1

Ehh I think the IB program can only have whatever affect on you that you let it, and that IB is just an excuse. Kinda like what Mike said... Rather than going to nicotine, the student can go toward another substance. Maybe less harmful, maybe more.

I don't watch TV since I've started IB, but it's not because of IB. I was just bored of it. I stopped reading when I got older. Not because of more strenuous academics, but rather I somehow lost an interest. I think it was diverted to IMing and whatnot :P

What's the cliched but important-to-remember phrase? Correlation does not imply causation. In this case, order doesn't imply a cause-and-effect relationship.

People stressing out over IB. You'll say well that's inherently IB, right?! Not to me. If I want to stress [which I do. I'm a master], I'll do it. I'll stress over a mini-vocabulary test. I'll stress over proving a theorem I've gone through five times. IB's just one catalyst. The world's chock full of them.

I noticed an increase in alcohol and caffeine intake amongst my IB peers relative to the "normal" people. On the other hand, everybody starts drinking at this sort of age, it was just a higher quantity. Never anything too bad though - Alcohol and ProPlus pills! Nobody smoked.

Although on a personal level, I'd agree with _inthemaking :P Definitely I never used to watch so much TV just to chill out. I even prioritised it over sleep so I felt like I'd done something to chill out, which of course ironically made it so overall I felt more stressed out because I was tired. That and exercise, definitely. I'd add in caffeine, but I've always drunk caffeinated drinks all day anyway, I'm not sure the IB was the cause of that.

I don't think it actively encourages addiction. At best it indirectly encourages behaviour which might ultimately lead to addiction. On the other hand, it does give a lot of people a need to actively seek things to both de-stress and stay awake, so I wouldn't be surprised if obsessive repetitive activity, caffeine and psychoactive depressants ranked reasonably highly on the average IB schedule. It has the potential to be stressful in terms of lack of sleep, even if you're a pretty chilled and organised person. I mean, without caffeine to stretch out your day, you'd have to have a magic brain or something not to be asleep on top of your revision!

Eh, I don't think you can say IB creates addiction because kids are going to try things regardless--some pick up addictions in the process. Yes, I've noticed increased use of drugs, cigarettes, and alcohol among my peers but none are no where near addiction.

Eh, same here - myself, I started smoking (although that was coming a long way off), and I'm up to about 2 litres of coffee a day now (no, I don't sleep). Also, I have noticed a lot of people in my class starting to smoke weed more than before.

I didn't drink coffee during IB, and I won't start in university. (I practically bleed and sweat coffee after work... disgusting :P )

But I think you're right - being addicted to something is a way of destressing, be it drinking/smoking, gaming, eating, or just coffee.

Although, if you've read the weight loss/gain thread, it's almost an even tie between gaining, losing, and no change.

Edited by Irene

Actually there was a study done on Ib kids. It was a major study I think, that shed some light on us.

They measured the stress levels and other types of psychological factors of IB students.

I dont remember the details, we just got informed during an IB ceremony about it.

Basically even though we have more stress than traditional public school kids, they found that we find better ways of coping with it. We find outlets. And there was a list of positive and negative ways to let things out. Most of the kids said they used the negative side though, like taking a long shower. Complaining to friends and cursing. Whatever, it's still an outlet :P but this is just my class.

My class does drugs, smokes, has sex - the usual.

I find Coffee to be splendid. A come from a culture that probably has the most concentration or traditional practice and attention awarded to the practice we would call, drinking coffee. So I dont find it really a big surprise I am an addict and single-handedly support all the Starbucks in the area. When stress comes or anything gets done, I run there for reward + more. I am going to buy a 22 $ cup (mind you this is like a really big purchase for someone as stingy as me) from Starbucks. Its double wall, stainless steel with a wooden handle!

So yeah I found I think a positive addiction =)

I don't find that IB is too stressful. I notice that loads of kids at my school complain about having to stay up late and about the amount of homework. I think that the only reason people find it stressful is that they spend too much time stressing and worrying when they could be working. As long as you make the most of the time you have then it only has to be as stressful as you make it for yourself.

Yeah, a lot of people in my class are addicted to coffee and coffein pills etc. But as someone said, it's just an excuse, it is possible to do perfectly well without any addiction.

I prefer to go out running to decrease stress levels, it's way more efficient.

Caffeine is something that a huge majority of people are "addicted" to without actually knowing. It is found in so many things. I used to drink but I've stopped because it just doesnt appeal to me any more. My outlets are TV and friends not in IB. They keep me going. Also, I try to live a healthier lifestyle because being healthy just makes for a more appealing life.

I have to agree with the idea that people use IB as an excuse to do things. I know in my school Vicadin (a strong opioid)was used during exam time to numb away hand cramps. I can do multiple wirting exams without using Vicadin or other pain meds, so this just confirms the use of IB as an excuse. Marijuana is extensivly used here in my class but that is a large amount of kids IB or non-IB.

If you need to rely on a substance to get through IB, you shouldn't have enrolled in the first place. I can safely say that I have never used caffeine, nicotine or any other substances to help me get through IB. All I needed was my friends and some time to myself.

• Like 1

Wow, smoking due to IB?? That sounds pretty.....unsettling. I haven't heard of anyone in my school going to that extreme, but I know it becomes a lot harder for me and my friends [both in IB and not] to resist unhealthy things like caffeine and junk food during the most stressed times. I guess it's like I have less time to think about how I should be sticking to eating healthy with everything else on my mind, so I end up eating a lot worse during the school year. It's become a bad habit =[

I gree with Shorty to an extent. What is the point of doing IB if you need to be addicted to caffeine or anything like that. Health is more important.

Try your hardest not to get addicted to such things!! Please! Plan your time and you will be fine!

I think its important to discuss also some of the implications which a lot of you have put forth.

First off, Caffeine is not "bad". If you assumed it was because it was labeled a "drug" than you have a long way to go. These labels are used to refer to substances that interact with hormones, are involved in bodily chemistry and have immediate effects on your body systems. Is that bad? no.

There has been extensive research that shows caffeine consumption in higher quantities is a health benefit.

And I wont quote just any study, here is one that has gained recognition internationally.

Under 20 years of study, people who drank more than 4 cups of coffee a day were 20% less prone to cancer, arthritis and etc I cant remember.

Than it was determined that each cup of coffee you have, the health effect was compounded by a given factor.

So really, you should move away from the superstitions that say you will grow a tail and have your brain eaten away at, and just maybe look at what some of the things valuable studies are saying.

And another thing, while we may all be working under the network of an international organization, please be mindful that not everyone's classroom is the same. Especially since I can see how some people can be completely misinformed about things that they see. You might see someone on this site complain about staying up, but all in all they are wonderful students. The fact is our teachers use very different approaches to our coursework and therefore everyone's schedule is different. For example, the school next to us who has an IB program has different ratios of projects/quizzes/tests/homework in relation to my school. And with the extracurriculars that some people have,caffeine will be the only thing to get you through the day.

So really, you should consider things differently, and I would definitely say at some point you might find that a cup of coffee will be the thing that pushes your due dates in their right place. None of you are reporting about the caliber of student which you are, given ranks and other academic weight. all I hear is random blurs about how you find the time to do things. Good for you, but where are you going with that and where are you currently.

I will be the first to brag at this moment to say, not a single assignment has slipped my hands. Not a homework, not a paper, not a deadline, not anything. and yes, I drink anywhere from 2-4 cups of coffee a day. Caffeine is not doing the work for me, I am :P

• Like 1

First off, Caffeine is not "bad". If you assumed it was because it was labeled a "drug" than you have a long way to go. These labels are used to refer to substances that interact with hormones, are involved in bodily chemistry and have immediate effects on your body systems. Is that bad? no.

There has been extensive research that shows caffeine consumption in higher quantities is a health benefit.

And I wont quote just any study, here is one that has gained recognition internationally.

Under 20 years of study, people who drank more than 4 cups of coffee a day were 20% less prone to cancer, arthritis and etc I cant remember.

Than it was determined that each cup of coffee you have, the health effect was compounded by a given factor.

Debating whether caffeine is 'good' or 'bad' based on a single study (or even multiple studies) is pointless. Of course there will be both good and bad sides - what doesn't?? Without going into the TOK aspects involved with a SINGLE study... you forgot to mention that coffee also stains teeth, apparently causes osteoporosis, increases the chances of heart attacks and heartburn. Not sure how you drink your coffee, but if you're anything like the people I serve to (3x3 sugar, 18% cream in a SMALL cup... really??!?), that can't be good.

A better way would be to drink tea... :P

No one's condemning you for drinking coffee. But being addicted to anything really isn't good - good in moderation, not in excess. That applies to the rest of us as well.

Debating whether caffeine is 'good' or 'bad' based on a single study (or even multiple studies) is pointless. Of course there will be both good and bad sides - what doesn't?? Without going into the TOK aspects involved with a SINGLE study... you forgot to mention that coffee also stains teeth, apparently causes osteoporosis, increases the chances of heart attacks and heartburn. Not sure how you drink your coffee, but if you're anything like the people I serve to (3x3 sugar, 18% cream in a SMALL cup... really??!?), that can't be good.

A better way would be to drink tea... :P

No one's condemning you for drinking coffee. But being addicted to anything really isn't good - good in moderation, not in excess. That applies to the rest of us as well.

I forgot all about the teeth part :)

I have never had problems with it, but I do recognize it does harm to others.

Even if you did go into TOK flashbacks, still there is a collection of studies at this point. Yes, none of them will be definite, but the ones I have personally read regarding method + more, I would say are well worth listening to. In fact I do see the point that advocating listening to studies is the same flaw I tried to point out in arguments against it. Though, given the principles involved in recent studies and the aged factors - I'd say they are true to their findings.

I just use vanilla creamer (liquid) :D

I gree with Shorty to an extent. What is the point of doing IB if you need to be addicted to caffeine or anything like that. Health is more important.

Try your hardest not to get addicted to such things!! Please! Plan your time and you will be fine!

I think its important to discuss also some of the implications which a lot of you have put forth.

So really, you should move away from the superstitions that say you will grow a tail and have your brain eaten away at, and just maybe look at what some of the things valuable studies are saying.

And another thing, while we may all be working under the network of an international organization, please be mindful that not everyone's classroom is the same. Especially since I can see how some people can be completely misinformed about things that they see. You might see someone on this site complain about staying up, but all in all they are wonderful students. The fact is our teachers use very different approaches to our coursework and therefore everyone's schedule is different. For example, the school next to us who has an IB program has different ratios of projects/quizzes/tests/homework in relation to my school. And with the extracurriculars that some people have,caffeine will be the only thing to get you through the day.

So really, you should consider things differently, and I would definitely say at some point you might find that a cup of coffee will be the thing that pushes your due dates in their right place. None of you are reporting about the caliber of student which you are, given ranks and other academic weight. all I hear is random blurs about how you find the time to do things. Good for you, but where are you going with that and where are you currently.

I will be the first to brag at this moment to say, not a single assignment has slipped my hands. Not a homework, not a paper, not a deadline, not anything. and yes, I drink anywhere from 2-4 cups of coffee a day. Caffeine is not doing the work for me, I am :P

He never said caffeine was bad. I'm pretty sure he means that the only reason that people take coffee or smoke cigarettes is to feel 'energized' or to stay up late to finish assignments. The simple act of continuously staying up late is considered unhealthy. Here is an article you should take a look at: http://www.bt.com.bn/en/health_fitness/2007/10/02/sleepless_nights_unhealthy_days. I would like to see a source for the study you referred to in your post. I've never heard of any of the claims you said.

"Than it was determined that each cup of coffee you have, the health effect was compounded by a given factor. "

So you're saying if I drank litres of coffee each day I'll have major health benefits? Again I'd really like to see where you are pulling the information from instead of just you claiming its internationally recognized.

"These labels are used to refer to substances that interact with hormones, are involved in bodily chemistry and have immediate effects on your body systems. Is that bad? no. "

Steroids interact with hormones and body chemistry as well, just like caffeine. So that makes them alright to take as well?