Canadian University Med school

keegan0321

Hi all,

I have a quick question:

Which canadian universities have medical school

and which one is the best?

Does Mcgill have one? Is mcgill the best canadian school to apply as undergratuate if i'm interested in medicine?

What about Mcmaster?

Thank you so much for your time! :P

Edited by Aboo
No text speak! - Aboo

Here's a list of schools. There really is no 'best' Canadian university for med. If you can get in, good for you.

Personally, I wouldn't apply to McGill. I'm not sure what international acceptances are like, but even home acceptances are limited if you aren't a Quebec resident. I'd imagine international spaces to be more limited.

Edited by Irene

Lots of schools have med schools. Yes McGill has one and so does Mac.

McMaster's med school doesn't require an MCAT (and I believe University of Ottawa doesn't either) though so they get A LOT of applicants. If you're an international applicant then I suggest you apply to as many med schools as possible because med school is already competitive and being an intl student puts you at a disadvantage because the schools will give preference to Canadian students first and only reserve 5-10 spots for international students.

Keegan

I would apply to McGill, UBC and U of T. They generally will have more money to fund their medical programs and other related programs. I'd say your best bet is UBC because its not out of province for you. If you recall the McGill Rep. said out of province students have a 0.01% chance of getting accepted into the medical school.

• 2 weeks later...

hey shorty~ i forgot who u r... plz remind me :P

but for UBC altho it might be considerably easy to get in science it's super hard to be on the top right?

and i'm not an international student for canadian unis

so that's not an issue for me i guess

but now i am thinking mcmaster cuz it has a really good health science program

do u know what kind of a IB grade do i need for mac's health sci program?

thanks!

hey shorty~ i forgot who u r... plz remind me :P

but for UBC altho it might be considerably easy to get in science it's super hard to be on the top right?

thanks!

^^^ Clement.

You need good ECs for Health Sci as admission is mostly based on the supplementary app. The cutoff average is 90% to be considered.

Ask someone in Canada and just as likely as not they won't mention McGill as the "best" medical school or university; really McGill is like an export beer, just ask a local beer-lover and they'll say its no good. No-one suggests "Queen's?" Really rankings and admissions policies change; You're just as likely to go to Med School at U of T as you were fifty years ago, only then it wasn't GPA but the "right schools" and social standing that were important. As for McMaster, that's a tough school to go to as its situated in one of Canada's tougher, if not "working-class" the modern word would be "dynamic" cities. Canada's younger universites (after "Toronto, McGill and Queens") are in my opinion some of the better ones, but don't expect an easy ride. I think applying to Med School should follow the same basic rules (or anti-rules if like me you follow Loren Popes's "Colleges that Change Lives") as undergrad applications: DON'T base your choice purely on prestige or famous faculty members, DON'T choose a place all your friends are going to, but choose somewhere that accepts you and your ambitions. I grew up in Canada and went to public school, yet NONE of the kids I knew have attended Med School and are doctors (and based on pure years I could have graduated UG by now.) It just wasn't for us I guess, that and whatever you may hear to the contrary "class" is still important even for supposedly "public" education systems.

Edited by Le Flic
  • Like 1

hey shorty~ i forgot who u r... plz remind me :)

thanks!

36 points for health sci. But honestly the supplementary app is more important once you have a 90%+ average. I'm going into my second year of Mac health sci and was helping out a friend a year younger who applied to health sci with a 98% average. He didn't get in.

If you go to Mac health sci, let me know so I can sell you my textbooks :P lol kidding. But I am having trouble selling my texts, they changed the edition :S

• 2 months later...

From what I know, McGill's admission is very competitive, even among Canadian students. It has been ranked the best medical school in Canada for several years, but they're all academic for admissions so extracurriculars only count for scholarships. I'm personally going to try to get into McGill because of its reputation (and I live in Canada though not in Quebec) but there are very few spots for international students. I think that because McGill is so centered around grades you might have a better university experience with professors and such elsewhere.