Physics EE topic - is this reasonable?

Talihintti

I finally decided that my old topic was a load of crap and started to think of new ones and i have two in my mind right now. I can't find it on the syllabus but i'm worried it might somehow be included because google gives some reasonable results when searching for things related to the topics with "IB" at the end of the search.

the first one is the effect of diameter of a guitar string on it's resonating frequency. This would mean having 6 or more guitar strings of the same kind but different diameter under the same tension and comparing the pitch.

the second one would require just one string but several masses: effect of tension on frequency.

my question is, can i use one of these or are they part of the syllabus? i found some useful looking formulas which i couldn't find on the data booklet so i'm confident at least one of the topics should be fine but i don't wanna do too much work anymore, if theres a risk of it being useless.

my teacher is on holidays and isn't answering my mails (although according to the school email client he read my mail...??) and i'd like to get started on my EE now that i still have some time left before school starts again and the IB coordinator goes crazy on me and all the others who havent gotten far during the summer.

Why are you so obsessed about it being included in the syllabus or not? Does it really matter?

Because as I've understood it, the topic should be outside of syllabus, extending a topic or doing something completely different so it won't be just another lab and in the 2 IB schools i've been to so far the general rule is "don't do something thats in the syllabus"

As a rule whatever you do, even if it's in the syllabus, you'll always be pushing outside the syllabus in order to get the depth an EE requires. You're cool to pick subjects within or on the edges of the syllabus, provided your research takes you further than what you've learned in lessons. It's not a requirement to avoid the syllabus - in fact the best place to look is probably the option topics (for instance) where you just touch on something much bigger. It gives you the background knowledge to know it's interesting and where to start, and then you can expand on it :P