Physics EE

AlonsoDT

Hey people!

I've been asked to start thinking about topics for my EE, since in some months we're finishing the school year (in my country), and I wanted to do it about physics. Is it too hard? What should I bear in mind when doing my RQ? Any comments and recommendations are welcome ;) !

Most definitely read the EE guide [found here:http://www.ibsurvival.com/index.php?app=downloads&showfile=109] for the physics criteria. It'll be hard to do anything with nuclear/modern/quantum physics. Try to stick to things that you can perform experiments for with low technology--nothing too dangerous! Butttt, you don't have to perform an experiment, even though most people will recommend that you do. Also, if your EE covers more than just physics-physics--like engineering or something, only the physics parts will be graded in the content.

Tell us what you're interested in--something pretty narrow, and we may be able to direct you further.

Prioritise the EE. If you don't, it can get very troublesome. It's good that you've already started thinking about the resaerch question. What parts of physics interests you? Start from there, narrow it down and try to find a doable experiment. According to what I've heard, it's better to do an experimental EE than a theorethical one, but of course you can do a theorethical one if you'd really like to.

And yes, read the EE guide

:)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hey, I'm also thinking about doing my EE in Physics and I am still not quite sure which Topic to choose. I did some research on finding topics and I definitely want to do a practical, however I don't know which of the topics would be the easiest to get a good grade in (not the easiest to do necessarily). I am interested in all of them, so this is not the matter, but which do you think would be the best / which would you chose, if any?

Grid

A plastic grid covers the open end of a cylindrical vessel containing water. The grid is covered and the vessel is turned upside down. What is the maximal size of holes in the grid so that water does not flow out when the cover is removed?

Ice

A wire with weights attached to each end is placed across a block of ice. The wire may pass through the ice without cutting it. Investigate the phenomenon.

Sticky water

When a horizontal cylinder is placed in a vertical stream of water, the stream can follow the cylinder’s circumference along the bottom and continue up the other side before it detaches. Explain this phenomenon and investigate the relevant parameters.

Calm surface

When wind blows across a water surface, waves can be observed. If the water is covered by an oil layer, the waves on the water surface will diminish. Investigate the phenomenon.

Sand

Dry sand is rather ʹsoftʹ to walk on when compared to damp sand. However sand containing a significant amount of water becomes soft again. Investigate the parameters that affect the softness of sand.

Wet towels

When a wet towel is flicked, it may create a cracking sound like a whip. Investigate the effect. Why does a wet towel crack louder than a dry one?

Shrieking rod

A metal rod is held between two fingers and hit. Investigate how the sound produced depends on the position of holding and hitting the rod?

Magnetic spring

Two magnets are arranged on top of each other such that one of them is fixed and the other one can move vertically. Investigate oscillations of the magnet.

Paper anemometer

When thin strips of paper are placed in an air flow, a noise may be heard. Investigate how the velocity of the air flow can be deduced from this noise?

Rotating spring

A helical spring is rotated about one of its ends around a vertical axis. Investigate the expansion of the spring with and without an additional mass attached to its free end.

Kelvin’s dropper

Construct Kelvin’s dropper. Measure the highest voltage it can produce. Investigate its dependence on relevant parameters.

Thank you very much for your help in advance!

Hey, I'm also thinking about doing my EE in Physics and I am still not quite sure which Topic to choose. I did some research on finding topics and I definitely want to do a practical, however I don't know which of the topics would be the easiest to get a good grade in (not the easiest to do necessarily). I am interested in all of them, so this is not the matter, but which do you think would be the best / which would you chose, if any?

Grid

A plastic grid covers the open end of a cylindrical vessel containing water. The grid is covered and the vessel is turned upside down. What is the maximal size of holes in the grid so that water does not flow out when the cover is removed?

Ice

A wire with weights attached to each end is placed across a block of ice. The wire may pass through the ice without cutting it. Investigate the phenomenon.

Sticky water

When a horizontal cylinder is placed in a vertical stream of water, the stream can follow the cylinder’s circumference along the bottom and continue up the other side before it detaches. Explain this phenomenon and investigate the relevant parameters.

Calm surface

When wind blows across a water surface, waves can be observed. If the water is covered by an oil layer, the waves on the water surface will diminish. Investigate the phenomenon.

Sand

Dry sand is rather ʹsoftʹ to walk on when compared to damp sand. However sand containing a significant amount of water becomes soft again. Investigate the parameters that affect the softness of sand.

Wet towels

When a wet towel is flicked, it may create a cracking sound like a whip. Investigate the effect. Why does a wet towel crack louder than a dry one?

Shrieking rod

A metal rod is held between two fingers and hit. Investigate how the sound produced depends on the position of holding and hitting the rod?

Magnetic spring

Two magnets are arranged on top of each other such that one of them is fixed and the other one can move vertically. Investigate oscillations of the magnet.

Paper anemometer

When thin strips of paper are placed in an air flow, a noise may be heard. Investigate how the velocity of the air flow can be deduced from this noise?

Rotating spring

A helical spring is rotated about one of its ends around a vertical axis. Investigate the expansion of the spring with and without an additional mass attached to its free end.

Kelvin’s dropper

Construct Kelvin’s dropper. Measure the highest voltage it can produce. Investigate its dependence on relevant parameters.

Thank you very much for your help in advance!

The paper anemometer sounds interesting but seems to me like a very chaotic system.

I'm am investigating temperatures effect on the power losses/ efficiency in a miniature fuel cell car.

Choose something that your analytic skills is illustrated, but keep it as simple as possible. An easy experiment where you can gather a lot of data is more preferred then a too advanced subject.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello fellow IB-ers

I'm already taking my IB examinations and this whole experience has been great. I, indeed, did my EE on Physics and it was about the effects of voltage, air humidity and temperature on the dust's electrostatic precipitation efficiency from a home-made simple electrostatic precipitator.

Which is actually measuring the effects of humidity and temp on a high voltage electric field which I designed to trap dust.

Basically, my whole EE was based on the physics of cleaning the environment.

For the people who want to do their EE on physics I would say go for it, its a great experience, it is going to demand a lot of work though but it will certainly be gratificating. Best luck to all