The Bartimaeus Trilogy

Taigan

Which of these options relate to you???  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these relates to you?

• I've read the books and really liked them
    • I've started reading them but didn't like them
    • I've never heard of them

Hey you guys. So I've noticed that people were talking about Twilight in another thread, but I don't enjoy it much (don't eat me...). So I decided to start another thread about another series which I really like. It's called the Bartimaeus Trilogy (fantasy/mystery) and I recommend all who haven't read it to give it a try. Anyone read it already? Are there any other series you guys enjoy reading? Recommend a few for me!

Jonathan Stroud, right? I read the Bartimaeus Trilogy 4 or 5 years ago and I have to say I really enjoyed it. It was very well written and also distinctly amusing :P My favourite one was the first one, but I did go out and buy the other two when they came out, and they definitely didn't let me down, although Bartimaeus becomes sliiightly less funny [in my opinion ;)]. Good stuff, though ;)

A similar set of books I enjoyed reading at the time, if I recall correctly, was the Chrestomanci series by Diana Wynne Jones. They had the same sort of fantasy magic thing going on, again set in England around the same sort of period of history. Actually I'd go so far as to say I enjoyed them more, although they weren't written in a comic style, rather more seriously (not to say they were serious, it's just they didn't set out to be funny). I don't know if you'd enjoy them or not, but I definitely did. Really well written.

• Like 1

I have never heard of them ;) Are there ebooks anywhere? ^^. Though to be honest, if they're fantasy, I don't think I'd be too into them (Harry Potter is an exception).

On another note, I'm a bit disappointed there isn't too many book threads around, though we do have that one threads for all book discussion. Maybe just lack of space I guess.

PS: Don't worry, you're not the only one who don't like Twilight ;)

I'd really recommend reading it. It's not really pure fantasy (dungeons and dragons come to mind when I say this...) but takes place in modern times with a few fantasy elements in it. I think its a book most people can relate to. It has adventure but also some comedy (mostly in the form of sarcasm, awkward moments etc.). Jonathan Stroud is a great author.

Harry Potter fan here too! Honestly, though, who doesn't like HP?

Haha I loved the series as well. I think these books introduced me to footnotes! :)

The historical context went way over my head at the time, but the books weren't confusing whatsoever.

The funny thing is, I'm sure you could read it now and pick up on political struggle that the average reader [being young] would not.

Because the plot wasn't linear--I believe there were flashbacks and whatnot--and it wasn't just "boy + his sidekick trying to save the world," it was different. Interesting when the protagonist goes bad for some time!

I'd definitely recommend it. =)

Actually, I read that Miramax bought the rights to the film and they promised to release it sometime in 2009. However, I think they ran into some difficulties (if you read the book, you would know it would be difficult to make a movie out of it) and also, I think that the producer recently died or something. What do you guys think of this? Would you enjoy a Bartimaeus movie or would it ruin the experience for you.

I'm not sure about it. I think that there are many things that they could potentially ruin the movie with. The casting, the story, the movie length. It could all go wrong. and plus, they would have to have a huge budget to pull the film off.

I read the books a few years ago but I don't remember much, other than I really enjoyed them.

I'd rather not see a Bartimaeus movie made. I think it would be just as disappointing as Eragon unless, like you said, it had a huge budget and a really talented crew.

I agree that Eragon was a disappointment. I had high hopes for that movie. Although, I do think that the material (the books) for the Bartimaeus trilogy is more enjoyable than the inheritance cycle source material. Hopefully it will turn out really well.

I've read the series twice now, and I love it. I really like the fantasy and the writing style. I was going to do it for my EE, but I realised i'd rather keep it as an enjoyment thing rather than a work thing. I don't think a movie would be good, it would be too hard to do. I think the the footnotes almost make the book what it is and that it would be difficult to convey that in a film.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

love the trilogy :P its amazing how Jonathan Stroud managed to make it hilarious yet full of serious action :)

the new book is about bartimaeus only aparantly. Kind ogf would not be the same without Nathanial and Kitty but still worth a read i think

i hate books that are turned into movies so it would be a tragedy if this was turned into a movie