Anyone do those mid-IB summer things?

Taigan

Hey guys. I was just wondering if someone did or is planning to do one of those mid-IB summer courses. It doesn't necessarily have to be IB preparation for exams but if there were any courses or activities (like MUN) that you did, I'd like to hear them. My older brother did this summer MUN thing called GYLC. What have you guys done/are planning to do?

I took a full course of online courses it was really hard to juggle them all. I worked on each a little, and in the end I had them all finishing with finals. If you do this, avoid this mess and dont let it bog down your summer. Instead, explosively work on one and then finish it - Then the other.

I never really thought the summer courses specifically for IB exam prep were necessary unless you have no self-control (sounds bad, but not really...we all practice it :) ). If you need someone to tell you to do homework, then they are beneficial. I find that self-study of IB material can be a lot more efficient.

I did one of those IB Revision Courses Europe & America for physics and I have mixed emotions about it. The background was that I was ill a lot during the first term of IB and then primarily got behind in physics. That and that I've always found physics hard made me decide to go to one of those courses, to make me feel less stressed out about the work I had to catcvh up with.

The tutor was very good, but we only had about 4 hours of tuition everyday, and I had expecte dmore. Besides, we're told that we would have time to cover the whole syllabus, but we didn't and we didn't do the hardest topics either, so I'm a bit disappointed about that. But I had been able to catch up, so maybe the course wasn't entirely necessary either.

I think it can be a good idea if you're very behind in subject, but if you know your stuff roughly, it's more efficient and economical to study yourself.

• 7 months later...
  • 9 months later...

I am planning to either go for the OSC summer courses or the Stanford courses. There seems to be a big difference between the UK and US course. The Uk course offers FIVE weeks and the US course offers THREE. And surely, the UK course seems a lot more interesting. But the US course is offered in HARVARD OR MIT. If you go for names, then definetly, its Harvard for me!!!

But there are other courses too. The Stanford course seems a lot more intensive. although it also only offers 3 weeks. In my opinion, I think the summer courses are mostly depended on whether you need it or not.

I want to take it for math and Biology. So the other one i would take would be for English or Business.

although this doesn't really have anything to do with IB, i did NYLF/med last summer which was really fun. i made a lot of new friends there and it gave me more insight to the medical field which i'm possibly interested in later on in my life=). also, volunteering is another good option. i'm planning on doing a lot of volunteer work over the summer just because i want to.