What was everyone doing before IB?

Taigan

I'm currently doing the pre-IB program at my school before I enter the IB program for my last 2 years of high school. Pre-IB is two years long at my school. I don't mean to go off topic, but did anyone else do a pre-IB program?

I did the Pre-IB program at my school. Those were the days. I'm in my last year of IB right now. May 2010 candidate and currently feeling like utter death.

Funny how this differs between schools. Our school usually consists of solely 7s with some 6s for Math SL. The year before IB, everyone takes an extra math course because "there isn't enough time in IB to teach everything", so this could make all the difference maybe. :(

I think the extra year definitely makes a big difference :) I only say this because we only finished the maths syllabus the last lesson before the exams started AND we'd been rushing through AND attending extra lessons in our free time all year! We couldn't practice anything before moving on and as for past papers they were 100% your responsibility because there was no class time at all to do them in. Our teachers were all complaining about how stupidly expansive the IB SL syllabus is in the time you have for it, and the year before us, they never finished and the topic they left out was actually one of the big ones on the final paper (which is why we rushed!) :(

If you're bringing people up from stuff they've never done before especially, it's difficult to do the SL syllabus with 2 hours of teaching a week for 2 years. That was why our teachers said if you wanted to do maths you should do A Levels, where they have plenty of time to practice and master concepts we couldn't spend more than 20-30 minutes on. So my teacher said anyway, I dunno to what extent he was dramatising it! If you missed a maths lesson, you were pretty screwed, though.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

In our school we do MYP but the year before the IB diploma we do the New Zealand qualification (NCEA) level 1. I think that it also depends on the subjects you take, but mostly it was quite a shock for a lot of people because of the amount of things we have to know for IB.

and before MYP, I did PYP... but oddly enough, compared to my elementary friends in other schools, IB looked easier than normal education programme (because of the exams not being a huge percentage of our grades and I actually enjoyed the whole units of investigation).

• 2 weeks later...

I took MYP for 2 years. The most useless and pointless program in my life. Why do I think that? Well, let me explain. During those 2 years I always got a 5 in maths.Because of that I thought was gonna fail IB HL maths. It was a miracle they even let me in with that grade. Guess what. Now I got 7 in maths. You know Why? Beacuse I do not have to do stupid in-class investigations and pointless projects. Instead, now i get to do proper Maths tests and interesting investigations and, in addition, the teacher gives a fair amount of time to do them, which makes them less stressing. MYP focuses mainly on the reflection aspect on your work which to me was, and it still is, RUBBISH. I can understand that reflection is important when doing something but, FOCUSSING AN ENTIRE PROGRAMME ON IT????!!!!! That's just RIDICOLOUS!!!!

Argentine national program (which basically consisted of random subjects in addition to the ones we already did, such as argentine geography, argentine history)

MYP (the one thing i regret about highschool)

IGCSE (in my case, Maths, Eng, Lit, Spanish, History, Physics, Chem, Bio, Eco, Geo) - in our case, at the end of year 9, they separated a group of 10 students from the top maths set (which wasn't much considering we'd had the same USELESS teacher the previous 3 years of highschool) and we were supposed to do an intensive course in order to sit for Maths Extended in May and the additional maths? (or maybe it was further maths from MYP, don't remember) in november, with all the other IGCSEs. In the end, sitting for Maths alone in May proved to be great because we dedicated almost a month to only that subject, but we never got round to doing the further maths subject in the end. Nevertheless, it gave us a headstart for IB Maths, because many of the topics coincided ^^

I am still before-IB and I am currently doing GCSEs/IGCSEs <_< I know another school that is somewhat similar to mine doesn't do ANY exam apart from IB - it follows the MYP programme before IB - but I personally think that having GCSEs is beneficial because, well, I would be awfully petrified if IB were my FIRST EVER public examination (which is the case for the other school).

People in my school are taking around 10 subjects for GCSE I think. English, Maths, (Add Maths), Double Award Science (Phys, Chem, Bio combined), AIDA, (CIDA), one modern foreign language, one arts, one humanities/social science, and one elective :)

I took MYP for 2 years. The most useless and pointless program in my life. Why do I think that? Well, let me explain. During those 2 years I always got a 5 in maths.Because of that I thought was gonna fail IB HL maths. It was a miracle they even let me in with that grade. Guess what. Now I got 7 in maths. You know Why? Beacuse I do not have to do stupid in-class investigations and pointless projects. Instead, now i get to do proper Maths tests and interesting investigations and, in addition, the teacher gives a fair amount of time to do them, which makes them less stressing. MYP focuses mainly on the reflection aspect on your work which to me was, and it still is, RUBBISH. I can understand that reflection is important when doing something but, FOCUSSING AN ENTIRE PROGRAMME ON IT????!!!!! That's just RIDICOLOUS!!!!

Wow same situation here, was doing Extended Math in MYP and never got anything above a 5, am currently getting 7s in all tests.

• 2 weeks later...

I did one year pre-IB, though the pre-IB year was a little strange because we followed (most of) the Swedish syllabus (eg. we did maths A & B instead of looking specifically at the IB syllabus) and such. Compared to the ordinary things you do on a swedish course we had approx. 1/3 stuff changed so it became more "IBish".