Business HL Self Study

Hello there.

I am not doing Business HL self-study but I am taking it when I get back to school in September (I still haven't started IB). Anyways, the book my school uses is called "International Baccalaureate Business and Management" by Paul Hoang.

Here is a link to the book at amazon

They've used it for a couple of years now but I'm not sure if they'll change it.

Although, after looking through the internet I've found another one that looks pretty good.

Here is the link to that one at amazon. I think this one looks better.

Anyways, good luck on your studies! :P

I don't do self study but the first book is very good. It's very clear and the information is presented so that you don't need to read it a million times and there a re lots of real world examples.

The second book is co-written by my Business teacher and the head of my school's business department (Both Business EE supervisors/moderators and exam markers/writers). A lot of the stuff they use in my classes are in there and people seem to understand everything so that one I would also recommend.

• 4 months later...

Indeed, it seems that Paul Hoang's book is the most popular B&M book I have seen. It is well written and covers the content well.

If you are going to self-study, you should ideally get someone to study with, and perhaps find someone who is either a teacher/tutor, or has a good business qualification that you can chat to if/when you get stuck (or alternatively, just post a message on this forum)

Remember to pace yourself. 2 years seems like a lot of time, but it goes past very quickly, and the work mounts up of you have not taken huge inroads into the books from the start!

Also, self-studying a subject, and preparing for the exams (which must be a part of your plan) are two different things. See if you can get (buy/find) past papers. Many tutorial schools will have these. going through the papers is a valuable task. Trying to get a look at the mark schemes is also valuable, as you will get a feel as to how the questions are actually marked!

Cheers & good luck!

• 3 months later...

Well actually it is better that you study on your own. I have a business teacher who take out questions not from the IB Question Bank and so there is no mark scheme and then considers the initial balance as a cash in rather than an opening balance and she keeps correcting wrong not giving people such as myself a chance to get a seven I am always on the edge while others routinely get a 7.