IB Visual Art

Rain

I did not take visual art. But I do have something to add from experience. Don't do a subject that very few people in your school are doing. It can make things unnecessarily harder. If you have a vested interest in it, then by all means, go for it! But not many people take viz art, so you'd even have a harder time looking for examples or help about this compared to like economics.

I do hope that someone who's taking visual art presents his/her side on here, though.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I took Visual Arts and I quite liked it. I mean it's not an easy subject, but if you're dedicated enough I'm sure you'll get a good score. Of course it all depends on your skills and all but it's not that difficult, it's more demanding than difficult. I for example am not an artsy person, but I liked the subject so I took it as an SL. I got a five because I got like 16 in my workbook but like 10 or 9 or smth like that in my studio work (because... yeah, I suck at art haha and besides I sort of ignored the subject for the first 6 months). But it's not difficult if you know what to do and how to do it. I also kind of depends on your teacher, if s/he knows what s/he's supposed to do and all. My teacher for one was TERRIBLE. He never read the workbooks and always tried to get you to modify your studio work and didn't give us the criteria etc. I'm sure I wouldv'e done worse if I hadn't stumbled upon this site (thanks IBSurvival!). But if you're up for it and you like it, then take Visual Arts!

• Like 1

I took Visual Arts and I quite liked it. I mean it's not an easy subject, but if you're dedicated enough I'm sure you'll get a good score. Of course it all depends on your skills and all but it's not that difficult, it's more demanding than difficult. I for example am not an artsy person, but I liked the subject so I took it as an SL. I got a five because I got like 16 in my workbook but like 10 or 9 or smth like that in my studio work (because... yeah, I suck at art haha and besides I sort of ignored the subject for the first 6 months). But it's not difficult if you know what to do and how to do it. I also kind of depends on your teacher, if s/he knows what s/he's supposed to do and all. My teacher for one was TERRIBLE. He never read the workbooks and always tried to get you to modify your studio work and didn't give us the criteria etc. I'm sure I wouldv'e done worse if I hadn't stumbled upon this site (thanks IBSurvival!). But if you're up for it and you like it, then take Visual Arts!

Thanks for the advice. I chose the subject and I am a pretty artsy person, but I did IGCSE last year and my whole year except like 1-2 persons (literally) did bad, so I was kind of put off art, but i'm willing to try again and hopefully do well. My concern is the IWB, do you have any advice for that? I'm not too sure of things to write and so on, and my problem is usually that i don't like replicating or doing over a piece of work, most of the times is can't. I'm hoping that will change. But if you have any advice for the IWB please respond. Thank you!

I did IGCSE in Art as well and now I do it in IB at HL.

It is an awful amount of work (compared to IGCSE and other IB subjects), be aware!

VA is the most time consuming subject in my subject choice (see signature).

The IWB is no problem iff you are doing it regularly. It is not hard and you should get good grades iff you stick to the criteria (which IS annoying). Also, I recommend you do a lot during you vacations.

I really recommend you look at the criteria and the syllabus!

• 2 weeks later...

It is an awful amount of work (compared to IGCSE and other IB subjects), be aware!

The IWB is no problem iff you are doing it regularly. It is not hard and you should get good grades iff you stick to the criteria (which IS annoying). Also, I recommend you do a lot during you vacations.

I have yet to see the proper criteria for the IWB and I'm a bit confused as to what should be in there and I've been hearing mixed comments as to whether i should avoid doing work on other paper then pasting it in the book or to avoid pasting things in. So far my teacher has been telling us specific assignments to put in there which I don't think seems right, please respond ASAP on this because i'm 15 pages in and still confused! :P

I paste stuff in.

As I hate cutting out, I often print a whole page with the images I need, arranged in the way I would cut'n'paste them and then just write on it.

Don't be afraid of mistakes. It gives you more 'development' if you change your mind or cross out stuff :P

In the first year I also had to do these specific assignments. Stick to them as they will help you to get a better grasp of how the IWB is supposed to work.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I have yet to see the proper criteria for the IWB and I'm a bit confused as to what should be in there and I've been hearing mixed comments as to whether i should avoid doing work on other paper then pasting it in the book or to avoid pasting things in. So far my teacher has been telling us specific assignments to put in there which I don't think seems right, please respond ASAP on this because i'm 15 pages in and still confused! :S

I don't think it matters too much whether you do your work on other paper and then post it in - I mean, thats what my teacher tells us to do while he has our books for grading... and he used to be an IB examiner. Anyway there are three things that he always emphasizes our IWB's should show: records of our progress/development, research into different artists (just a couple), and cultural awareness x100000000 - that would be the most important one, so just have a couple of pages looking at art from different cultures - even if it might not relate. I'm sure you could find some though that relate to your themeee

Don't worry about it. Anyway I would just go with your teacher's advice, I'm sure your teacher knows what he/she is doing.. or not :) if the art students from your previous graduating classes did (on average) welll then I wouldn't worry too much about ittt

• 1 month later...

Visual arts is great, I think if you enjoy doing art you should take Art as your 6th subject - it's by no means an "easy subject" but I find it's more rewarding than other subjects, and there's more freedom. It also serves as a great escape from work - i.e. useful procrastination :P It is time consuming, but again, very rewarding. :yes: