Sign in to follow this  

Your first day of IB

Well I had just started my journey in IB today, and it didn't turn out too well in the morning. I have 0 period (starts at 6:45) Calc SL, so I wanted to leave early, especially with the L.A. traffic (I live 15-20 mins away from school). My mom thought it was all right to clean the kitchen and make rice (lol) at 6:20, so of course I was late. Great first impression to the 2008 Teacher of the Year, eh? :P Anyways, besides that, I expected a lot of work assigned on the first day, and of course, I was right. But all of my classes, with the exception of English 3IB (Language A1 for me), were all AP/HL/SL, meaning there were AP, HL, and SL kids all in the same class. I have no idea how this is going to work, so I'm also wondering, has anybody had this type of class? Does the teacher teach each individual group at the same time? :3 Also, there was a new girl, from Germany, and having her in my German class was intimidating, to say the least lol.

Do you guys remember your first day?

My language B class was called AP Spanish, and it was supposed to cater to both IB and AP students. IB got the short stick. The really, really short stick! Haha make sure that doesn't happen to you. You can do this by looking at the syllabus for each class and being aware of what your IAs are for each class. For now, give your teacher some breathing room! Also, it's better if your teacher has taught AP/IB together before. If it's a first time thing, then I think it's almost certain either you or the AP kids or both will suffer.

My first day was amazing, if I remember correctly. My English teacher intimidated the heck out of me, my bio teacher seemed wayyyy too friendly to be true, and my AP Chem teacher made me laugh =) It was bizarre but wonderful. Yeah, first impressions are kinda important, but one thing about the IB is that we all have our quirks and we don't try to hide them. Don't worry bout it too much, and try to make "friends" with your teachers. It'll help with rec letters this year and next year and loads of other stuff--especially when it comes to awards day :P Most likely you'll get the most accolades as a junior.

Nope, ahah! Honestly, I can't remember a thing about my first day :P I have a vague suspicion we may have had a form photograph and spent the rest of the day filling in hand-written timetables/doing nothing, because that's the traditional way to start every year, and I have a photograph somewhere. Definitely we had no lessons, and as for homework wellll we never had that anyway. Kinda scary how these things become such blurry occasions, but there we have it!

I started a week and 1 day later than all my other IB comrades. So there I was in a new school, new country, been out of academia for a year-ish, relatively friend-less and confused. I can't forget the first day! Oh and after that I had my first IB class, which was biology and then the second was business, then spanish and something else which I think I've forgotten. Maybe it was CAS. It was pretty daunting, but fun nonetheless. I might just do it all over again, wouldn't mind. Though I did wish I didn't meet a few people, but meh it shaped my last 2 years of school.

So in essence, make the most of it! The last 2 years are the most important, and something that crafts you as a person and brings out your best and worst qualities.

First day...memories are kind of vague.

I looked at the class lists posted in the lobby and cursed whoever moved my homeroom from floor 5 to floor 6.

I got up to class, met my new homeroom teacher who would be one of my favourite teachers in IB. He was fighting with the air conditioner which never worked properly in the two years we had homeroom in that room.

The first period was all administrative stuff as it was every year :P, including fighting over who would get the best lockers. We probably did nothing in class that day since we never do in the first day.

MMy first day is approaching. I will in an entire new city, new kids, new school (more than 10 times bigger than my old). Sigh.

I started a few days later than when school started, and I had a free period in the morning, so I didn't really do anything >.< And then my first class was psychology, and nothing really happened the whole day.

Not really..it was probably all admin stuff. Came to school, looked to see where my homeroom was, went to homeroom and sat down with friends. Got locker assignments and schedules passed around, textbooks assigned, etc.

Haha funny, we had do start before all the other grades because they gave us this 'induction day lecture' which went on for like 3 hours. The first proper school day, I had Biology, then English, Chemistry and Arabic! God I can't believe I remembered that. :D I remember being so excited because I didn't know what IB was all about. :D

I don't really remeber much because at first it seemed to us it's just like any other grade, we only realized we're literally doing IB when the first semester ended and the grades weren't that pleasing despite our insane effort in studying(IGCSE Style).

God I miss high school! I wish I could go back again.

I quite remember, but it wasn't a bit change for me because I already knew the people and the teachers since we'd done 2 years of 'Pre-IB' (if that's what its called) together.