Entering university - Subjects...

korean

I didn't take psychology as a subject in IB because i didn't have much interest in it, but now i am very interested in psychology, to be more exact in positive psychology...

My questions is can i enter a Psychology university without having a psychology subject? and is it possible to learn the stuff alone?

And can you tell me the differences between social work and psychology...

THX...

Actually Universities (in the UK anyway) prefer you didn't do Psychology at school, as they reckon it's much easier to teach people all of it from scratch rather than have people with various and often poorly detailed building blocks. You'd still need to have a good scientific background, however. Psychology is actually rather competitive.

What do you mean by learn it alone? I mean, why do you intend to learn it alone?

Aaaand as for the differences between being a psychologist and a social worker, google it! For instance http://en.allexperts.com/q/Psychiatry-Psychology-General-1009/Psychology-versus-Social-Work.htm - if it's something you're considering as a career, you'll want to research it more than a random answer on here anyway.

Perhaps there are universities that might require you taking psychology prior to uni, but that's also not true for US unis.

From what I've heard, the Psychology "101" classes are a lot of foundation stuff with names & dates & tedious but interesting stuff! Yeah, you could learn it by yourself, but I don't see the point. The field is so broad, and even if you zoned in on positive psychology, you might be an intermediate level student in that area, but you'd still be taking the basic psych classes that all students who want to study psychology take, so it'd be a moot point.

I would recommend you to just self study the part of psychology that includes names, history and the developement, the actual concept and experimental part is very hard to learn without an adequate teacher. But I find it quite pointless trying to self learn psych if you are going to unversity to learn it, since you will ultimately learn it anyways.