History Paper... uhmm all?

Kyon

Okay so i'm completely lost in history >_<

we flew past us history which wasnt so bad, then went into latin america for like a months (btw that wasnt the easiest) and now we're in canadian history. and this whole time im sitting there trying to absorb it all but not really sure what i should really concentrate on. can anyone help? along with any tips or guides etc

(to help me study for the IB history exams)

Edited by Kyon

It's a good idea to look at the History syllabus for a general guide of what you need to know. It can be found here: http://www.ibsurvival.com/index.php?app=downloads&showfile=121

I'm going to assume that your teacher is doing Route 2, History of the Americas. [PS the new 2010 syllabus doesn't really affect Route 2, from what I understand.]

From the guide:

Route 2

Syllabus component

20th century world history—prescribed subjects

1. Peacemaking, peacekeeping—international relations 1918–36

2. The Arab–Israeli conflict 1945–79

3. Communism in crisis 1976–89

20th century world history—topics

1. Causes, practices and effects of wars

2. Democratic states—challenges and responses

3. Origins and development of authoritarian and single-party states

4. Nationalist and independence movements in Africa and Asia and post‑1945 Central and Eastern European states

5. The Cold War

HL options

2. Aspects of the history of Africa

3. Aspects of the history of the Americas

4. Aspects of the history of Asia and Oceania

5. Aspects of the history of Europe and the Middle East

If you're taking history at HL, then your teacher will probably pick option #3. In fact, it seems like you're learning that with Latin American & Canadian history, so pay attention & ask questions if you don't get something. If you find it hard to pay attention to what the teacher is lecturing and take notes simultaneously, then it may be better to listen to the teacher very carefully if you know you can copy someone else's notes. However, this is a skill you'll need to develop as soon as possible. Especially in college!

In history, I ask questions when I don't understand something. I understand that my teacher wants to get through the material, but I'm not going to sit quietly if I'm just confused. Other than asking questions, reading your notes regularly is a good idea so that you're not cramming for the test and then forgetting after you've been assessed that one time. I have yet to master this skill though haha. Good luck.