Phrasing the research question

Dr Tchock

Okay, I decided to do my extended essay in chemistry, and I'm looking at the way a) weak acids affect enthalpy neutralisation in acid-base reactions and b) monoprotic, diprotic and triprotic strong acids affect enthalpy neutralisation in acid-base reactions. I used the different acids I needed (weak acids, diprotic, triprotic etc) and reacted them with a strong base, sodium hydroxide, in my experiments.

First thing is, I can't really word my question properly. I've tried "In what way do monoprotic, diprotic and triprotic acids and weak acids affect enthalpy of neutralisation in acid-base reactions with sodium hydroxide?" but that sounds really awkward and isn't really clear...

Plus I hadn't previously realised that we're supposed to put our topic into a context... I mean, there has to be a reason why you're researching it... is that true, or can you still get away with not putting it into a context? Problem is, I can't really think of anything I could say that justifies me researching it.

To my knowledge it is generally accepted you need to be researching into something positive (and even if it's not officially listed, it'smore or less the only thing dividing the EE from a regular IA) - like you said putting it in context. With Chemistry this usually takes the form of trying to work out which of X, Y and Z is more effective/practical/efficient/economical/environmentally friendly etc. in order to obtain practical end-result A. Can you not find some sort of industrial process which requires minimising or maximising neutralisation enthalpy?

And also, I actually don't think it's possible to have fluent research questions in Chem :P Provided it clearly outlines what you're doing, it may just end up sounding awkward. It is a science EE after all.... ;P