Medical Literature?

Taigan

Hello everyone on IBS.

My intention after IB is to pursue a career in medicine. However, I know that to gain offers into university (especially those in the UK) it isn't only the grades which are important. I'm very interested in the sciences but I also have an interest in books and literature. For this reason I was wondering if anyone has read any novels (fiction or non-fiction) that might interest me???

I assume you mean literature which you can mention at Medical School interviews to try and help get you in?

I got really into reading all this "science" literature at one stage (although nobody picked up on it to ask me about it at interview, it was still extremely interesting!) and some of the ones I read which I'd recommend as relevant would be:

Awakenings by Oliver Sacks

The Man Who Mistook His Wife For A Hat by Oliver Sacks

Oxygen by Nick Lane (I can't explain how awesome this book was, I thought it was absolutely fascinating)

Power, Sex, Suicide by Nick Lane

The Private Life of the Brain by Susan Greenfield

The Nick Lane ones are mostly interesting from a scientific "how the little things work and came to be" perspective, the Susan Greenfield one from a more psychological perspective (more or less how we can tally our brains up with our personalities and behaviour, in particular how cross-cultural ideas [memes] and bits of the brain all develop in clusters to interact with each other) aaaand the Oliver Sacks ones from medical case perspectives. Other relevant things to read would be stuff like the Cambridge Illustrated History of Medicine by Roy Porter and, particularly as this will really help you in an interview where they ALWAYS challenge you with ethical questions, Medical Ethics: Accounts of the Cases that Shaped and Define Medical Ethics by Gregory Pence or any decent discussion of medical ethics and ethical theories.

I hope that helps you. Also-- even if people aren't interested in medicine, I'd still recommend that Oxygen book for anybody with even the mildest of interests in science, Nick Lane has an extremely accessible writing style and it's written from a very unique perspective (in my opinion, anyway!). Kinda fascinating :P

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Well, I realise this was posted a while ago, but I find myself in the same boat! I love medicine and I love literature. I agree with Sandwich up there that The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat is a good read. Some personal favorites of mine still include, for non-fiction, The Lives of a Cell by Lewis Thomas, and for fiction, The Andromeda Strain by Michael Crichton

Edited by bee.talbot