investigation of different fuels

ibgenius101

For my EE i was planning on experimenting with different fuels and comparing their efficiencies

Mainly by comparing the maximum power each can produce and their respective costs to obtain a common unit for all.

if i experimented on this and even included enviromental effects of the fuels would it be reasonable?

Hello IBgenius 101. :)

I'm not exactly sure how to help you, as I haven't even started my EE topic. Nevertheless, I have been researching some possible topics on the internet, particularly for chemistry, and I came across a list of potential topics; some of them explained quite thoroughly. I think it would be worth checking out as it also has other ideas, therefore, you'd be able to decided if this was a good idea. Here is the link:

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/IB_Chemistry/Extended_Essay

I hope this is helpful! :D

Edited by Taigan

Hmm how would you test the efficiency of the different fuels? If you have access to industrial machines or something, that might work--just make sure it's not dangerous or that you're being safe. Also, you'll want to show that you understand what's going on. Complex machines that do work for you [haha no pun intended] can be detrimental.

Also, I wanted to get something clarified. Efficiency can be calculated based on power, but in my experience, it's calculated in terms of work, not power. How much of the energy you put in is being transferred to something useful. Power brings in the rate of the work done so you have another factor. Do you see what I'm saying? Whatever you do, make sure you've clarified and that you stick to your terms.

So if you have the means to test out your hypothesis, you should be fine. I just think performing the experiment may be difficult. It depends on what you have access to.

• Like 1

As such, your research question is far too broad for 4000 words. However, the more significant problem with your title is that it does not stick to Physics, comparing costs wanders into Economics/Business territory and IB does not approve of interdisciplinary essays. No matter how enthusiastic you are about your EE title, it's better to play it safe if there's a chance that your EE is interpreted as intedisciplinary by your examiner. Then again, who am I to say, I gambled and still got an A :P .