Worst/Best teachers you've had?

Taigan

I've had a fair few of bad teachers. Some of them don't even know what they were talking about half the time, and when the students in her class got awesome grades, she took all the credit. One really hated children but he still taught a year 7 class (don't ask me why...). There was also one who said she didn't know how to use a calculator (science teacher) but I wasn't sure whether she was telling the truth or not.

So tell me about your best and/or worst teachers. Obviously, don't include any names!

:D

Haha okay I've learned to forgive my worst teachers, and I've learned to appreciate some of them as well, so I'm okay on that front.

Best teachers?

Grade 7 [i was about 12 years old] My language arts [English literature + grammar] teacher was the hardest teacher ever. She pushed and pushed and pushed. Nothing was ever perfect. I barely scraped by with a 90 in the class. She basically developed my work ethic. I think about what I've had to do for IB, and it's not even close to how hard that class was for me as a 12 year old.

Grades 10-12 [ages 15-18] My English/TOK teacher. Amazing man. He's hard. He's sarcastic. He's brilliant. He makes me want to care about the coursework I turn in into his classes. He sees through the BS. He earned my respect in the second semester of 10th grade.

Those two are my favorite. I love many of my other teachers, but these stand out because while they truly care about their students, they do what's best for the students, even if it means the students end up hating them.

:D

i had the worst physics teacher ever, she knew nothing and was bored of teaching once, so she kept clicked through like 30+ powerpoint slides in like 10 seconds and said "ok so, we are done now, work on the homework"

Edited by Ruan Chun Xian
remove the second bit which is offtopic, rude and unnecessary

Hrm, well...

Actually, thinking about it, nearly all my teachers (with some notable exceptions who were pretty brilliant, of course) had their own little useless features :P I don't think we had a good teacher.

On the plus side they all (well, nearly all!) gave us hours of entertainment for 2 whole years XD Never laughed so hard in my life.

Guys, this is not an invitation to bash your teachers. Every had bad teachers at some point, no need to be rude about it. Yes, I'm looking at you, mhudson.

Anyway.

My Physics teacher is a great guy. When he's not teaching. He knows his stuff, but he really just can't explain it in any way that made sense. But outside of class he's great. He always stole french fries from our lunches :D .

My biology teacher from grade 8 to IB1 is one I would never forget, he new me for my insanely big bag of questions I came with everyday. He would look at me and go like :"alright maha..go ahead what is your question?" without me saying anything.

He knew things and new exactly how to explain them in a way that made sense. Although he always demotivated us by saying:" you guys just dont seem to be suitable for IB", I took that as motivation.

My Physics teacher last year was probably the best teacher I've had along with my History teacher. Since last year was the 1st year of physics, all of us had a hard time in understanding it but the way she explained it to us was so effective that it looked easy. My history teacher was great because he's young and understands how we study and doesnt give us homework like there's no tomorrow. He knows that we have other classes and things to do so he manages to give us the right amount of work.

My worst teachers have to be my English and Math teachers last year, hands down. Our math teacher did nothing wrong except come into class every morning looking like he just finished smoking a joint and has a cold cup of Starbucks while all of us are tired and need something cold in this scorching heat. Our English teacher just doesn't know how to teach. She gives us updates on major assignment 2 days before its due date and the other teacher give her class the update 2 weeks before its due. She's also sexist and biased. She favors girls and if your pure Middle-Eastern, then consider yourself getting no higher than a C+

• 1 month later...

Best: SL Biology teacher. She's so nice and I've learned more science in her class than I have in preibBio and Chemistry put together.

Worst: My TOK teacher. She is very biased! If your opinions aren't the same as her opinions she will cut you off and look at you as if you're the stupidest person she has ever met. She needs to get off her high horse...

Best and/or Worst: Mr. V. He was about 15 years past retirement last year, and so did not care at ALL what the school board thought he should or should not be doing. Seeing as he was my HL Chem teacher, that made for some very interesting labs with NO safety procedures. By the end of the second month, the front row of people would back up as far as they could whenever he said he was going to demonstrate. He lit his desk on fire once, and regularly poured acids on his hands and broke glassware to explain some sort of bonding or something completely random (or just general emphasis). He was completely sexist, told all the girls in the class we should be sent to nunneries, and had daily rants about everything from ethanol powered cars to his so-called "god of the month" ( he was controversial...)

He was the best because he knew his stuff SO well, forced us to think outside the box, and made his class the singular most interesting one I have had to date. It was exciting every day, without fail.

He was the worst because his notes made no sense (they often followed a spiral pattern on the chalk board), he would contradict himself regularly, and he had been teaching so long, he thought all the material seemed like it should be really easy, for everyone. His tests were infamous. The class average was 63%, in an IB class who felt that any mark below a level 6 was terrible...

He was insane, but oh so entertaining, and needless to say we all miss him (he retired at the end of last year) but are thankful for the fact that, with our new teacher, the class average is 25% higher. :(

The scary thing is that he used to be a Physics teacher as well, but was removed from that post due to popular complaint from parents (think grade 12 academic physics class where 75% of the students failed...)

Retire In Peace sir.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

BEST: I have 2 best history teachers since the start of my "history-lover career".

One inspired me too much that I turned from hating the subject to loving it endlessly.

The second one is my new Ib teacher. She is so caring and nice - always be able to plan unexpected activities. Once we found ourselves playing the old kindergarden musical chair game. I couldnt imagine yr 12 students playing such thing we used to consider as being childish. You cannot and will not want to imagine those silly momnents during the game - it was hilarious I gotta say =) I can probably tell many stories that would last 10 pages on here about all the fun we are having but it will take too much time and IB doesnt allow such thing :D There is one thing aobut her: she cannot stand silence for more than 15 mins. There was one time when the entire class just went dead silent since we were too tired from a week of IB. Normally we would talk to her but on that day we didnt even say a word and everyone seemed like running out of energy. She was like "I am feeling so isolated". I really really cannot wish for a better teacher than her. She makes Hl history seems so easy :)

WORST: my Math and first language teachers.

Dont want to talk much about him. He keeps on picking on the fact that I sleep at around 3-4 am and thinks of that as a lie and a joke(don't ask me why - certain teachers just like doing such thing).

language teacher: she is kinda nice - helpful and everything but there is one problem with her. She always talks about our mistakes out loud in front of the class and to me, I kinda hate that. Also, she is kinda a patriot so everything we write or say have to be about making her country looks good.

Edited by coffee addict

My math teacher last year, and the year before. He cared about me so much, he was pretty awesome and helped me through pre-IB.

Probally my science teacher last year and in one in middle school, pre-IB. They did not like me at all, now that I think about it i can see some things that i might have done that were disresepctfull, but come on, around two weeks of lunch and after school detentions for playing a web game? and in middle school? lol i think i cried or something

• Like 1

Is it funny how physics teachers were among lots of your 'best teachers' list?

My physics teacher is the best teacher I've met. He is really into what he teaches and is so devoted that I feel like I have to be dedicated to match him.

My maths teacher is lovely too, she's really organised, gentle and experienced.

Most others are good too. I don't have any worst ones this year. How lucky!

OK i beat all the of urs worst teachers you know why??

lol well let me explain my HL CHEM teacher taught in a public school before comming to my school teaching IB and she is sooo bad at her job that she one day tells us that we should do a full lab report so i sit that nite and complete it and then the next morning she tells the whole class that we should only do DCP AND CE!! seriously i got really pissed as i already did the work so i just handed in!!

next is my BIO HL teacher we at school call her SMOOB lady as she is always even when she is pissed smiling and she has really big boobs and she teaches as if she is just talking to her self regardless of the fact that noone is listening and this is why i am sooo screwed in IB i have to get 41 for god sake!!!! :D

• 2 weeks later...

Most of my teachers are wonderful. However, on the second year (this year) of my IGCSE I had a new Maths teacher. She was Incredibly sweet and fun, but very hard to get her. She can never get the concept across to us. And I am not the only one suffering by the way, all of my other classmates as well :)

Thanfully, I got the chance to move to another maths class which a male teacher taught in. He is AMAZING! From the first day, Maths started making more sense to me.

Also my business studies teacher (who is also my form teacher :) ) is INCREDIBLE~! she makes business seem very easy and starightforward and always has great revision tips and ways. :D I truly wish she would teach me in IB.

My history teacher for the first 3 terms of IB1 history - Decided to do 4 HL options for paper 3 instead of the required 3 and spent almost 2 terms on the French Revolution (which was the extra HL topic) because it was his favourite topic in history, even though him spending so long on it meant we are totally behind now. And when we finally moved on to Italian and German unification, he taught us all of Italian unification in one 50-minute period by showing us a random powerpoint so now we have to do it again with our new teacher. And he never handed back any of the essays I gave him, despite me asking him about it every week. His response was always that he was doing his pHD but I know that he finished it in february o_o.

Anyway the bright side of him leaving (Thank god) was that my new history teacher is so good.

My chemistry teacher is really smart and I really enjoy chemistry but sometimes I feel like we're more organised than he is...we had only done like 10 hours of pracs by the time we were over halfway through the course and basically if we didn't start doing one hour of pracs a week we wouldn't meet the course requirements by the end :/

Everyone hates my English teacher but I think she's good because she pushes everyone really hard and actually makes us work, and English is probably the class most people are doing best in.

My ToK/English 10 teacher was one of the best I ever had. Good teacher, moderate marker, and pretty funny.

My Physics teacher is great as well, smart, fun, and she has the ability to make everyone focus.

My French Teacher is really nice. Teaches well and is generally very not-hateable.

All my Math Teachers have sucked.

8: this guywas not even trained in teaching math. HE WAS A GODDAMN BUSINESS TEACHER AND NO ONE LEARNED ANYTHING. THE ONLY PEOPLE WHO GOT GOOD MARKS DID SO BY DISREGARDING EVERYTHING HE EVER SAID AND LEARNING EVERYTHING THEMSELVES.

9: Hardass teacher who didn't teach well. Very few people did well. To be fair, Mr. 8 was partly to blame.

10: Retarded teacher who underestimates everyone and test after test claims that we will fail if we don't do 50 hours of homework. No one pays attention to her and just plays on their Ipods and we all get Bs and As. Makes dumb threats like "I'll tighten your braces" or "I'll hit you" all the time.

My chem teacher manages to talk for an hour and a half without anyone learning everything. Tonnes of people have dropped out and several are thinking about starting a petition to get rid of him. Come lab time no one knows what they're doing and the two people who know what they are doing have to carry the entire class.

Edit: Wait, why can't we bash on our teachers? Being hateful is what the internet is for.

Edited by Grumps

My TOK teacher is the WORST teacher I've ever met. Just totally unacceptable in all areas.(Everyone thinks so in our school)

My Physics and Math teacher are nice, but not good at teaching. Ironically, the good math teacher in our school is teaching SL while the worst one is teaching HL...

I think the BEST teacher would be my Chemistry teacher. Well, a part of it is because I like science and the other part is that he knows what he's teaching and when he should teach what.

My Geography teacher is pretty nice and good at teaching, but she gives us soooo much work. Still, she's good.

My Mandarin teacher, oh well, it's like the easier subject for the students in our school, and the teachers know it, so we have so much fun in the class.

And about English teacher...no comment, sometimes good, sometimes ok.