Private Lessons?

The Economist

IB is starting in 11 days and I'm really anxious, as I don't know what to expect. Anyway, today while I was coming back from basketball practice, I saw a friend of mine attending the IB as well and she told me that she's been having private lessons before school starts, but she will continue having them during the whole 2 years. My sister told me that I shouldn't listen to what everybody else is doing and I should just focus on myself, but this whole thing made me worry. So I would like to know if you believe that private lessons are necessary in IB and if any of you have had any :/

I've been revising everything we did last year but I hadn't thought about having private lessons as they don't seem important at IB, but I would appreciate it if you could help me :D

Take a look at this thread:

I agree with phillipb, but I'd like to add that you need to give yourself time to acclimate to your IB courses. Believe in yourself. If you go into class with the mentality that it's too hard, then you might just make it too hard or give up too early. If you feel overwhelmed in a class, first use your "free" resources. Talk to your teachers. At least half of them should be there because they like teaching & want to help you. I can't make any promises about the other half. :D

Plus, you said you have basketball practices and all. I'm sure that'll be pretty time consuming when school starts. If you go into school already having x amount of hours with a tutor, then you're not going to be as flexible, ya know? I also understand that you have almost two weeks before school to burn. Continue looking over material on your own if you want to, but don't get someone to try to teach you in a subject before the teacher's had this chance. The tutor, at best, should be a supplement to your understanding of the subject that you've been taught. Don't downgrade the teacher to being the supplement. Plus, what if the teacher and tutor have conflicting views on something? You might learn something one way, and then your teacher might tear it down. Please just be patient. Enjoy your summer!

There's no point in having private lessons just for the sake of private lessons. When you find something you struggle with, need to re-cover concepts or find you haven't been taught properly, then seek out private tuition. Otherwise it's ultimately an expensive time waste, as you won't have focus. Your teacher is there to attempt to teach you the first time round, and you should only hire somebody if they've failed.

Don't worry about your friends getting tutors. The worst thing you can do right now is to get a tutor and then waste time and money just to sit with him/her when the chances are that you didn't even need a tutor in the first place!

I say get started with your classes. The adjustment may take a couple of weeks, you'll be overwhelmed, I think, by the sudden change in workload. However, I think then, and only then, would you be able to properly make the decision as to whether or not you are in need of a tutor. You might find that you're perfectly comfortable without one.

Relax, I don't think it will be that bad :D

Good luck in IB!

:P for one, stop stressing!

you haven't even entered ib yet so don't think about tutors just yet

just walk into the class willing to absorb whatevers thrown at you

if you walk in with the mindset of: i'm going to need a tutor, you probably will

give yourself some time to get used to the course!

some of my friends flipped out in the first term, but after a whole lot of complaining we learnt how to cope with the workload

personal experience: i thought i was good at maths, it was only till around the end of IB1 that i realised that i would probably need a tutor to replace my actual math teacher. so check everything out and give it time to sink in before making your decision 'kay?

p.s - you sound heaps more prepared than i was XD! i didn't even prep for IB, so i'm sure you'll do fine!