How do you deal with bad grades?

faith

Well, life isn't based on the final IB exams, getting a bad score doesn't mean that you will never be able to succeed in life. Some of the world's most successful people, eg the founder of Cocacola were just average throughout school. What you need to succeed is determination, because even a valueable brain has its restrictions and can only take you so far in life.

• Like 1

English, History and Film: Cry a bit

I don't find many people who take IB Film too!

When you're talking about bad Film grades what are you referring to...you don't get tested on it, do you?

How's the course going generally? It's really interesting to finally find someone who does take Film too, as I am completely lost - being the one of the first and only six people here in Egypt to be enrolled in it!

Cheers :blink:

I always look at my mistakes and the places where I got marks, but more focus on the mistakes. After one bad mark, I work super hard in that course so that I don't get another bad mark. Typically, for the next test, I study a lot so as to not repeat my previous mistakes. Work hard!

I always just let it go. If it's a pass, I'll try and improve my mistakes next time. If it's a fail, chances are I didn't try hard enough or just plain f***d up. In that case, TRY SOMETHING NEW!

If all else fails, observe the bigger failures of others! Plot the percentages that you come across on a graph, and calculate where you stand in terms of average grade! Don't forget to includes standard deviation and error bars! :P

Good strategy. To compare oneself with others is how I survived the result of my first maths IA. However, it's not very good in the long run, because there are always someone scoring better than you, unless you are one of the 0.5 percent that get 45 points.

I always just let it go. If it's a pass, I'll try and improve my mistakes next time. If it's a fail, chances are I didn't try hard enough or just plain f***d up. In that case, TRY SOMETHING NEW!

If all else fails, observe the bigger failures of others! Plot the percentages that you come across on a graph, and calculate where you stand in terms of average grade! Don't forget to includes standard deviation and error bars! :P

Good strategy. To compare oneself with others is how I survived the result of my first maths IA. However, it's not very good in the long run, because there are always someone scoring better than you, unless you are one of the 0.5 percent that get 45 points.

I actually do that sometimes, but it only helps alleviate about 20% of the failure. The fact that you failed doesn't change. The fact that you did good relative to your class mates can only help so much.

My grades were usually very constant (that's not to say really good; just constant), so I never really had "bad" marks, because I only thought of my grades in relative terms (for example, if I had a 60% in a course, I'd call a 60% on a test a good mark). However, there were at least three occasions I can remember when I had some really bad marks.

I failed two Physics tests during grade 12. I hated Physics so much, and the tests were unfairly long and impossibly hard, so I really didn't care how I did. I also still managed to get the second highest mark in the class on a test despite the fact that I got 43% on it. We ended up laughing about it as a class, and my teacher agreed to try to make the tests less impossible in the future. He didn't.

In English I failed a quiz (also with 43%) about Survival in Auschwitz, by far the book I liked the least during my two years of English A1. Considering I read about 43% of the book, I felt it was a fair score.

So, I guess I really don't deal with bad grades. If/When I get them, I just acknowledge that I probably could have done better, but it hardly matters because one test or quiz or whatever is hardly worth anything and our scores get adjusted anyway.

Use every bad test mark you get as a lesson and a wake-up call that you aren't doing as good as you thought. Focus on that area more next time. Dwelling on what happened doesn't help and won't change anything no matter what so look to change what you can; the future.

I may sound classic and a bit typical, but usually when I'm in that situation I try to analyze the errors and mistakes I made on the test or quiz and fix those because they will appear again on the exam and it's important to be prepared. It helps to stay as positive as possible and study harder and look only towards the future,I always tell myself if I don't get the grade I want I'm not studying hard enough, which motivates me for upcoming tests. I'm surrounded in a positive environment with great teachers who keep students grounded.

Edited by -Carl

• 2 months later...

American colleges, IB is not well recognized. We simply get some credit for getting a certain mark on each test. The grade in the class is almost more important to be honest. If my transcript said like IBSL Phyics - "A" but i get a 2 from IB, i wouldn't get credit but the college would still probably be like OMG SMART PERSON....or something like that :D

you are having HL math tomorrow so just leave Biology a side for a while, focus on math and the rest of your subjects first. Cheers :) . Good luck dude. Try to score high for other subjects and they ll back up your biology :D

Edited by Sandwich
Please don't use chatspeak.

• 4 weeks later...