How do you deal with bad grades?

faith

I cry if it's really bad. But normally I just feel really bad for like 24 hours and hope no one asks me..then remember I have other things to worry about..and just move on. I used to sometimes talk to my parents about it..blame the teacher..the past paper...etc..etc..then just move on. Now that I have grown up a little..I jut say "it doesn't matter..do I want to do better next time? yes? Then get your sorry ass off the chair and get over it!". Don't laugh, I am serious.

Haha I remember studying biology after every bad grade I get in any subject..it just makes me feel good. Find a subject you're good at..and just study that for awhile.

Let me define a bad grade first. My grade is bad when it is lower than my expectation/standard, no matter I pass or fail. So if I expect a 80% and I get 70%, I consider it a bad grade even though I pass.

If I get a bad grade, it would really break my heart. I might curse or shout. I usually would show disappointment in front of the teacher. Then I would look through my paper and see where my mistakes are, and learn from it. Once I get it wrong, I want to never get it wrong again, so bad! It sometimes helps me to improve. But I never worry so much about it. Getting a bad grade would never make me cry because I do not care too much about it. I do care, but not overcare. It would just be a temporary disappointment. When I go to the next class, I'll forget it already.

Math HL is the subject where I struggle the most. I have a 90% in the course but I always get the 70%-80% anomaly every few tests. It is disheartening but I always have a clear idea of how I've done after I write the test, so by the time the test is returned, I am resigned. My response to go up to my math teacher and nitpick all the marks he deducted, and it gets put into his review pile. He usually raises me either 0.5 or 1 mark if I'm lucky, which is not much, but it's the process that counts - it makes me feel better, lol.

• 2 weeks later...

Math HL is the subject where I struggle the most. I have a 90% in the course but I always get the 70%-80% anomaly every few tests. It is disheartening but I always have a clear idea of how I've done after I write the test, so by the time the test is returned, I am resigned. My response to go up to my math teacher and nitpick all the marks he deducted, and it gets put into his review pile. He usually raises me either 0.5 or 1 mark if I'm lucky, which is not much, but it's the process that counts - it makes me feel better, lol.

I hate people like you, begging the teacher for extra marks. Pathetic, really.

• Like 1

before everything I take a look on my test, there's always something that the teacher could mark as wrong and its good or got the wrong points when he/she counted them :rolleyes:

And if it is so I think why I did so bad, in what I failed,etc

And if it's about math HL, I have cried twice.... but not after receiving the mark but after doing it.... both times was a final.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay it always depends on

1. the grade

2. the class/ subject

3. how much effort I put in to the assignment

#3 is the most important. If i get a bad grade and I KNOW that I didnt really try I kind sorta let it just roll of my shoulders but if its something that I know I worked hard on I get mad, who doesnt?

I ask so many "what if's" that I have to force myself to move on if I cant find a way to fix it. I go to the teachers and ask why I got this grade, maybe there is a semi-decent reason for the grade, maybe not.

You, I, everyone cant dwell on bad grades all the time, accept it, move on, learn from it, grow from it, use it to push yourself to do better.

• 3 weeks later...

It depends on if I thought the mark was fair or not. If it's the latter, I almost always contest it. Probably the thing teachers dislike about me the most =P

History MC are the worst questions. English MC is also pretty bad sometimes. But I'll go after anything; even re-printed an in-class essay once because I lost a mark for messy handwriting (it was out of 10, so, I thought it was worth it ;))

As awful as this may seem, I have gradually progressed from consistently getting over 90% last year, to getting 70s and 60s (without the bump anyways) this year. Somehow I have learned to not care anymore (most likely thanks to the immense amounts of music related things I occupy myself with), which is definitely a bad thing considering I definitely have to improve my mark. Just get over it. One bad test isn't going to hurt you. A bad mark is just going to make you try harder next test. Don't become demotivated like me.

I shove my test/quiz/essay in the back of my binder and forget about it. I promise myself to work harder and set a goal for myself for the next test and try to level up. :P But I barely look at my tests or my bad grades, because looking at them will make me feel hopeless.

But I've been noticing something strange. No matter how horrible my marks get, for some odd reason, they always turn out well on my report card. I've given up trying to calculate how. Maybe that'll happen for you?

My advice for dealing with bad grades in no particular order

1. Study more next time...

2. Dont freak out

3. Figure out what you did wrong

4. Relax

5. Seek help

6. Relax with friends

7. Take your mind off of it with _____________________<- insert something not test or work related here

This coming from a person with grades that could be better...

Good luck

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The 10 stages of receiving a failing test grade:

1. swear under your breath and stare disbelievingly at the paper

2. go into a state of shock and depression

3. attempt to hack the school grading system

4. realize you will get caught and kicked out of IB and possibly school

5. cry

6. go talk to the teacher

7. study

9. cry some more

10. accept it and move on

I'm in my first year of IB and my first semester grads/GPA were not all that great, with that, I actually consider dropping out of IB but once I thought about, I decided to stay because I don't like the easiness of a regular class especially at my school. I recently started looking at colleges and even though I know most American colleges/universities look at grades/GPA, I hope the rigor of the IB increases my chances.