Which one of these is more suitable?

HelenaStage

Ok, so I wrote a message on here some time ago, but now I got my ideas straighter...

- If I can, I would like to write an EE in particle physics analysing particle collision images (it would then be a data-based essay), but then again physics EEs are usually badly graded?

- On the other hand I would also like to write about "Multiculturalism and religious co-habitation in Andalusia post-711"

I plan on studying physics in UK (I'm aiming for Oxbridge), so will it harm me I didn't write it in physics?

On the other hand I need the points to apply, so...help!

EDIT: does the second topic sound as if it might not fit into History?

Edited by HelenaStage

First off, yeah, it's comparatively hard to write an EE in Physics, but it's doable. At my school two EEs gained the maximum score this year, and they were both in Physics. So don't be put off by that if you find your topic interesting!

Secondly, no, your choice of subject for the EE probably won't harm your chances to get into uni anywhere: very few equivalent education programmes have something comparable to the EE, so writing one at all is plus points. On the flip side, it might be the extra bonus that gets you into the top schools. My best advice is to pick something you're passionate about. Don't pick a topic that "sounds good" - pick one that you're confident you want to know a lot more about (and can imagine yourself dreaming about without it making you sick, heh).

I say go for Physics if you want! Good luck. =)

I can't imagine doing a science EE because of experimentation. I despise lab reports! So I'll put that bias out right now, even though I love physics and your physics EE wouldn't have actual experimentation.

If you're genuinely interested in Multiculturalism and religious co-habitation in Andalusia post-711, then I think that this is the smarter choice. I'll also say that I'm planning on doing my EE on some aspect of Moorish architecture, so bias? haha

But anyways, I think the Anadalusia one will be better because it's easier as long as you're still passionate about it. I guess one thing you can think about is... Which sounds better: pouring through about 15 books plus another dozen or so articles on your Andalusia topic or digging for as much information as you can on your physics topic? The research is the significant portion, and if you can't imagine being interested in the research for one topic, it's better to scratch that one off. G'luck!

• Like 1

Out of curiosity, which subject would you be doing the Andalusian essay in? I can't seem to match it to any of the subjects you're taking off the top of my head. It seems to me like a Spanish B essay.

I'd also say that it's not too big a deal which subject you do the EE in. Showing breadth is one of the things they're pretty keen on, and they want scientists with an appreciation of things other than science as well as an interest in science (which I reckon you're showing well enough by taking Physics HL & Maths HL :P ). Of course if you DID do one, it'd be a gem to talk about at interview, but then again I don't think it would harm you to go for the bonus points and 'breadth' instead of the EE. They won't necessarily even ask you about your EE unless you bring it up. Physics essays do tend to be reasonably difficult (although again I know plenty of people who DID get As) and it'd definitely be harder than a B language EE - also experimentally based EEs tend to do better than data-based ones (it's just how it is). So I'd only take on the Physics if you're really up for it and feel confident in your supervisor that they know how to go right to the IB EE criteria. Otherwise, go for the bonus points and a high IB score - I can tell you at Oxbridge they'll be asking for very high total points! XD

EDIT: Having read sweetnsimple786's thingy about it being a History essay (which makes sense now I've looked up the significance of 711 xP) I'd go for the History essay. It shows you can write proper academic essays which'll look shiny next to mathematical skills. A lot of people who're doing A Levels (which'll be the majority of people applying to Oxbridge, if that's what you're after) will be doing Physics, Maths, Further Maths and perhaps Chemistry or another science. So next to them in particular, you'll be un-pigeonholing yourself, if that makes any sense, and showing you're articulate etc. as well as capable of everything else.

• Like 1

Out of curiosity, which subject would you be doing the Andalusian essay in? I can't seem to match it to any of the subjects you're taking off the top of my head. It seems to me like a Spanish B essay.

I'd also say that it's not too big a deal which subject you do the EE in. Showing breadth is one of the things they're pretty keen on, and they want scientists with an appreciation of things other than science as well as an interest in science (which I reckon you're showing well enough by taking Physics HL & Maths HL :P ). Of course if you DID do one, it'd be a gem to talk about at interview, but then again I don't think it would harm you to go for the bonus points and 'breadth' instead of the EE. They won't necessarily even ask you about your EE unless you bring it up. Physics essays do tend to be reasonably difficult (although again I know plenty of people who DID get As) and it'd definitely be harder than a B language EE - also experimentally based EEs tend to do better than data-based ones (it's just how it is). So I'd only take on the Physics if you're really up for it and feel confident in your supervisor that they know how to go right to the IB EE criteria. Otherwise, go for the bonus points and a high IB score - I can tell you at Oxbridge they'll be asking for very high total points! XD

EDIT: Having read sweetnsimple786's thingy about it being a History essay (which makes sense now I've looked up the significance of 711 xP) I'd go for the History essay. It shows you can write proper academic essays which'll look shiny next to mathematical skills. A lot of people who're doing A Levels (which'll be the majority of people applying to Oxbridge, if that's what you're after) will be doing Physics, Maths, Further Maths and perhaps Chemistry or another science. So next to them in particular, you'll be un-pigeonholing yourself, if that makes any sense, and showing you're articulate etc. as well as capable of everything else.

Seems like I can't see all the replies then...

If I can, I would like to write an EE in particle physics analysing particle collision images (it would then be a data-based essay), but then again physics EEs are usually badly graded?

Don't think too much about that. As long as you're interested in it, it will be fine.