Should I stay in IB?

Shahzeb

I've completed the MYP Program in Brampton, Ontario and did quite well (85-87 average) but I don't know whether or not I should continue in the IB program (I'm a little worried about the work). I could also go in the enhanced program, which is a notch easier than IB.

Some advice would be much appreciated...

Thanx :P

The subjects I've taken are:

HL Math

HL Biology

HL English {A}

SL Physics

SL French {B}

SL ITGS

My teachers and friends both think that i should stay...

I am pretty good at handling stress and i always get my assignments completed on time...

hope this helps

Hello,

Whether you do take IB or not purely depends on your abilities and your future plans. As far as you have mentioned, I think you will do fine in IB because you said you are capable or handling stress. Although, what are you planning to study and where? IB is prep for University, so you must at least vaguely know what you are willing to study. If you know for sure that you will be benefited from these classes in University (for example, some Universities accept some IB classes, depending on the grade, of course, as University subjects so you might not even have to take them at University). Think about this. Although, if you ever switch your mind, IB will not sent you up because it is a great opportunity for you to learn more and I think that as long as you get the Diploma, you will be in good shape for further studies.

Good luck!

From what you've said I understand that you deal well with stress, so this is one reason why you will be able to do well in the IB. If your teachers also think that you should stay, that's probably an indication that you're academically advanced enough. The last thing that you may want to think about is where you want to study at university. Which countries are you applying for and what field do you want to go into?

There are no reasons why I think you shouldn't continue with the IB if you aren't suffering.

I'll tell you my story.

I used to be crap at handling stress and assignments. I don't think I ever handed in a big assignment on time (not exaggerating). I never studied, I was just blessed with being smart enough to get by. I did IB and if I got the chance to go back in time to when I was entering IB I'd simply slap myself for even thinking about not entering. Entering IB is the best, smartest, wisest, etc. thing I've ever done in my life. I'm in University of Toronto now, the 10th best university in engineering on the world and the 1st in Canada. Everyone around me will be panicking about first year and I'm just enjoying the fact I know 99% of the stuff already and I know how to do the assignments they require.

University will be much easier for you if you do IB, take my word on it and if that's not enough, ask any IB-er who went to university and went through first year. (You probably wouldn't find much because a lot of people go in as sophomore for doing IB).

If I were in your place, I wouldn't even hesitate and I'd go into IB instantly. (By the way, I never did MYP; I entered from the crappy high school system so you should do even better than me. My predicted was 38/42 before EE and TOK.)

Don't make the wrong decision.

Good luck and take care,

Mohannad Abwah (IB M09)

Haha why would you ever want to do that? Medical schools in Pakistan are hard to get in to. Medical certification, should you get into a med school and graduate, will only be valid with in Pakistan since you will have to re sit medical exams for any other country. I will say it again, entry into medical schools such as the Aga Khan Teaching Hospital and Sindh Medical College in Karachi is extremely competitive.

Honestly, reading Medicine as a degree in Pakistan is a pretty bad career move if you ask me.

Haha why would you ever want to do that? Medical schools in Pakistan are hard to get in to. Medical certification, should you get into a med school and graduate, will only be valid with in Pakistan since you will have to re sit medical exams for any other country. I will say it again, entry into medical schools such as the Aga Khan Teaching Hospital and Sindh Medical College in Karachi is extremely competitive.

Honestly, reading Medicine as a degree in Pakistan is a pretty bad career move if you ask me.

I am thinking of either going to Pakistan or the Caribbean.

Which one would be a better choice??

By your username I can tell you're Pakistani, so I understand that. By saying you want to go the Caribbean, I really don't understand why. Do you want to go to places where it's easier to get into Med school? Or is it the traveller in you that wants to go to a country with substandard medical practices so that you think it's easier to get into Med school?

Do med schools in Canada have some kind of monster that's going to eat you alive if you choose to study there?

• 2 weeks later...

By your username I can tell you're Pakistani, so I understand that. By saying you want to go the Caribbean, I really don't understand why. Do you want to go to places where it's easier to get into Med school? Or is it the traveller in you that wants to go to a country with substandard medical practices so that you think it's easier to get into Med school?

Do med schools in Canada have some kind of monster that's going to eat you alive if you choose to study there?

The monster that admits very, very few international students, I'm assuming. That's what we're told all the time here in Norway, that getting into med school in the US and Canada is near-as-makes-no-difference impossible. Is this just a vicious lie spread by teachers and the Norwegian government, or is there some truth to it?

The monster that admits very, very few international students, I'm assuming. That's what we're told all the time here in Norway, that getting into med school in the US and Canada is near-as-makes-no-difference impossible. Is this just a vicious lie spread by teachers and the Norwegian government, or is there some truth to it?

I'm sure that worthy candidates do get chosen. In any case, medicine in Canada and the US is a graduate program. Yes it's difficult to get into, but there are a fair few medical schools, people can get in somewhere. Whatever said and done, if it's difficult to get into, it's no reason to go to the Caribbean or Pakistan to study medicine. It sounds and is absurd.

I think it is the interview that trips most people up for the Canadian Med Schools. It isn't enough if you sccore really high on your MCAT, you need to be deemed 'suitable' for the career.