Can I have some opinion on my topic for World lit

kankeel

My world lit topic is How the main character's view on life affect his actions in the novels "like water for choclate" and "the sailor that fell from grace with the sea". Please can I help comments as to whether this would make a good world lit? i need your experience thank

Edited by kankeel

I've only read the second text, but I think it's a fine topic. Would you talk about all of the mother-child relationships? That would be a bit too many! See if the relationships in both books reveal the same thing about some of the mothers to narrow down your topic because you have Rosaura, Tita, and Mama Elena in Like Water for Chocolate to work with. Or you could name a character from each book, which would automatically narrow down your topic too.

Hmm in the outsider his mother is dead from the beginning and he didnt' seem to care much so I'm not sure if you can talk much about the relationship. Maybe you have a card up your sleeve and have read through the lines and have come up with something. Thing is you need something comparable and some content to base your work on. But the idea of character revelation is very good in fact.

My world lit topic is How the main character's view on life affect his actions in the novels "like water for choclate" and "the sailor that fell from grace with the sea". Please can I help comments as to whether this would make a good world lit? i need your experience thank

How much have you thought about this topic? If you think you can write a 1000-1500 word essay on it, then I think the next logical step is to make an outline for your essay, including what examples you want to use to support your argument. I think it's a good idea to get a little bit more direction in your topic. Is there a similar view of life that each character shares? Or does each character's own view of life cause him/her to do similar things in both works? You could easily argue that Mama Elena's grudge about the unfairness of her past causes her life to be filled with bitterness, but your essay would be more effective if the character from the other work was in a similar situation in some sense.

I think that your topic makes it quite hard to do analysis of literary devices, but paves the way for more of a narrative. Are you talking about character development? If so, what are the techniques used in character development? It seems to me that with that question it will be hard for your essay to really go anywhere. If you can't find any devices, then perhaps look at some themes. I have only read LWFC out of those two, but maybe you could look at nature of an oppressive environment in the actions of the characters or something? Try to develop and focus your topic a little bit more.

I don't quite understand your topic. Could you clarify it a bit?

I strongly recommend to choose one character from each work and then do an in-depth analysis. Talk about your topic and don't forget to mention the technique if appropriate and the EFFECTS of what you are talking about. Literary features are not included in the criteria, so yoú can skip those for once. :D

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A really important aspect, also, in your World Literature assignment is to mention how the author/artist utilizes certain methods, such as various literary devices, to portray whatever you want to focus on. In the IB, the writer is the artist and the work is his/her artwork. Try to think of it like that. Instead of saying "how the main character's view on life...", you should mention the author because it is not the main character's choice, but rather the author's and thus you are trying to convey what the author is wanting to display in his/her work.

Edited by CelestialCeres