Action has to benefit others...?

HelenaStage

Service hours are supposed to benefit the community/others. Maybe she's got her facts wrong :P

And if she's actually serious, but that would make her factually wrong, you could do charity marathons or something for Action, make posters and publications to raise awareness of charities for Creativity and well, help the homeless or something for Service.

We had a similar thing at my school where everything had to be benefitting the community somehow - the way I got round it was to "teach" my friends and have them "teach" me, or to "inspire" me etc., or just pretty much anybody you can pass the activity onto. Problem easily solved, provided you can get your CAS teacher to agree with you that it's an acceptable way of getting in the whole beneficial to the community thing. It ratifies literally any activity.

It is a very good arrangement as of course everybody will want to trade in on such a convenient system. Everybody helping each other out and all that! :P

No, I think she's wrong. Service hours are supposed to benefit someone else. Action and Creativity hours do not necessarily have to. However, if she is stubborn and won't let go of the idea. There are plenty of things you could do:

Organize and take part in a marathon for charity, have people sponsor you for how many miles you run. Money goes to charity.

Take part in one of those habitat for humanity things. Surely constructed shelters would count as action and service.

Organize a sport activity with people in need. In my school, we organize trips to help disabled students with therapeutic riding.

Good luck! Hope this helps :P

Haha on our CAS forms, we have to explain how each activity benefits others. For action, all I've done for my 50 hours is play American flag football, basketball, and soccer in some local teams. I say that my hours have benefitted others because my team members and I are all learning the virtue of team work and stuff like that. It'd be harder for an activity you do alone, like jogging by yourself. Just go with someone else--a friend, family member, neighbor. You're creating a bond with your community. :D

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Yeah, I thought Creativity and Action don't necessarily have to benefit others. Anyways, if you play a sport decently well, you could teach your friends or some little kids how to play it, and that should be able to pass as beneficial to the community. You could do a sport (ex. running) for charity, like other people have mentioned, as well.