Need Help narrowing down my Psychology EE research question

Saransh

Hello all IBians,

I am doing my EE in psycholgy. The area that interests me is aggression. I was brainstorming and came up with a bunch of questions. I need your help in narrowing down to one question. (Some questions may be repeats but in a different structure).

1) The importance, evaluation, identification and effects of environmental factor on aggressive behavior and what causes it.

2) What are the factors in the environment that cause aggressive behavior?

3) How do environmental factors effect aggression in different age groups and what are they?

4) What are some environmental factors that effect aggression in different age groups?

5) What are the effects of environmental factors in regards to aggression, what are the environmental factors and how do they affect aggression in individuals of different age groups.

6) What are they factors(media), how it effects aggressive behavior or how it contributes in the arousal of aggressive behavior(appealing to an individual about a certain product through an advertisement and why does that environmental factor affect aggression(the product shown in the advertisement is a new trend in fashion so it's a 'must have it right now' situation).

7)What role does the environment play in aggressive behavior?

I am originally thinking about the effects of environment on aggressive behavior, what factors in the environment are causing the aggressive behavior, and how important are they. That takes care of the subject or my main idea.

Some thought about what type of individuals to show aggressive behavior in. I am currently thinking about writing the effects of environment on aggressive behavior only in childhood OR many different age groups(age group of 1-7 yrs old...7-14...15-17...etc)OR in different social groups and elasticities (i think this one will be hard)such as blacks, whites, Indians or Asians in general.

I have actually thought quite a lot about my extended essay...and from your help I will be done soon.

Hello all IBians,

I am doing my EE in psycholgy. The area that interests me is aggression. I was brainstorming and came up with a bunch of questions. I need your help in narrowing down to one question. (Some questions may be repeats but in a different structure).

1) The importance, evaluation, identification and effects of environmental factor on aggressive behavior and what causes it.

3) How do environmental factors effect aggression in different age groups and what are they?

4) What are some environmental factors that effect aggression in different age groups?

5) What are the effects of environmental factors in regards to aggression, what are the environmental factors and how do they affect aggression in individuals of different age groups.

6) What are they factors(media), how it effects aggressive behavior or how it contributes in the arousal of aggressive behavior(appealing to an individual about a certain product through an advertisement and why does that environmental factor affect aggression(the product shown in the advertisement is a new trend in fashion so it's a 'must have it right now' situation).

I am originally thinking about the effects of environment on aggressive behavior, what factors in the environment are causing the aggressive behavior, and how important are they. That takes care of the subject or my main idea.

Some thought about what type of individuals to show aggressive behavior in. I am currently thinking about writing the effects of environment on aggressive behavior only in childhood OR many different age groups(age group of 1-7 yrs old...7-14...15-17...etc)OR in different social groups and elasticities (i think this one will be hard)such as blacks, whites, Indians or Asians in general.

I have actually thought quite a lot about my extended essay...and from your help I will be done soon.

So you seem to want to talk about the causes of aggressive behavior, but not just any causes--you want to talk about environmental factors. For many of these, your research question is too broad. You seem to clarify as you go down the list and then introduce a new aspect and then clarify and then introduce again, etc.

I don't think it's a good idea to look at multiple "variables" like you do in numbers 3 and 4 and in your idea about environmental factors + aggressive behavior + social groups. How will you be able to conclude anything about SocialGroup1? It's too wide because you might think the PurpleHorses are quite aggressive in comparison to StripedMongooses, but this would be generalization that could be discredited if you don't show a breakdown of the other factors like PurpleHorses that you interviewed have had an abusive parent generation and have learned from the parents' actions. I hope this isn't confusing. The PurpleHorses and StripedMongooses are semi-fictional for the purpose of this example.

I think #6 is on the right track. You can talk a lot about the media and what how it contributes to aggressive behavior in a specific age group or maybe even a general age group. You'd talk about how the media targets certain age groups, so if you only deal with one age group, I think you'll be good.

Hello all IBians,

6) What are the factors(media), how it effects aggressive behavior or how it contributes in the arousal of aggressive behavior(appealing to an individual about a certain product through an advertisement and why does that environmental factor affect aggression(the product shown in the advertisement is a new trend in fashion so it's a 'must have it right now' situation).

So you seem to want to talk about the causes of aggressive behavior, but not just any causes--you want to talk about environmental factors. For many of these, your research question is too broad. You seem to clarify as you go down the list and then introduce a new aspect and then clarify and then introduce again, etc.

I don't think it's a good idea to look at multiple "variables" like you do in numbers 3 and 4 and in your idea about environmental factors + aggressive behavior + social groups. How will you be able to conclude anything about SocialGroup1? It's too wide because you might think the PurpleHorses are quite aggressive in comparison to StripedMongooses, but this would be generalization that could be discredited if you don't show a breakdown of the other factors like PurpleHorses that you interviewed have had an abusive parent generation and have learned from the parents' actions. I hope this isn't confusing. The PurpleHorses and StripedMongooses are semi-fictional for the purpose of this example.

I think #6 is on the right track. You can talk a lot about the media and what how it contributes to aggressive behavior in a specific age group or maybe even a general age group. You'd talk about how the media targets certain age groups, so if you only deal with one age group, I think you'll be good.

I really like #6 myself. So i shoould focus on only one age group instead say 3 age groups? I was thinking that i would show a sort of comparison between the age groups if that works?

OK. So, #6 is what are the environmental factors that effect aggression (in one or many age groups??), what effects does the environment have in aggressive behavior, and why do environmental factors affect aggression?

Do you think this could be my research question. Or is it too broad or too long?

Thanks for your insight by the way :D

It's a bit much, I think. If you're going to broaden it to "environmental factors" rather than state one environmental factor, then go with something like "To what extent do certain environmental factors [and you might want to include "such as ___, ____, and ____"] provoke/cause [only use one of these verbs if that's what you're arguing] aggressive behavior in humans aged __ to __?"

[PS Affect is a verb. Effect is a noun. :D ]

Sorry about that matuha

anyways, I thought about my Ee research question a lot...and finally came up with three questions.

Research question 1:

"What are the effects of environmental factors such as media and situational factors in aggression in humans?"

Research quesion 2:

"What are the effects of environmental factors such as media and situational factors that provoke aggressive behavior in humans?"

Research question 3:

"What are the effects of environmental factors in aggressive behavior in humans?"

I now want to only focus on just the effects of environmental factors in aggressive behavior in humans.

tell me what ya'll think