Sign in to follow this  

World lit asignment 1 - Kiss of The Spider Woman & Siddhartha

I don't think there has been a topic on world lit essays and these two books here; otherwise I wouldn't have started this topic. So as the title kindly gives away I am doing my English A1 SL World lit assignment most likely on The Kiss of the Spider Woman (Puig) and Siddhartha (Hesse). The third book which I have yet to even open is Feet in Chains; I really don't know anything about it, but I think that I'm going to do my world lit on the forementioned since the deadline for the first draft is in 2 months. So in terms of a topic I have been thinking of something on the lines of comparing the quest theme in the two books i.e. the quest for identity and the quest for enlightenment. Now I don't think this is the best of topics so I would really like some suggestions if anyone has any? Another option might be to do something on the lines of prejudice and comparing how that is present in the two books.

Thanks.

My teacher has always told me that every quest ultimately ends with self-knowledge, so the quest of enlightenment is quite broad. It's great that you have two+ months, and I wish I'd read any of these books to offer better advice. If you were to do something related to a quest, then you could maybe focus on one similar aspect of the quest. Maybe the "dragons" or the obstacles from both books seem different but if you look closely, they're the same.

Whatever you do, half of the goal is to compare but the other half is to show how what you've pointed out and compared is significant. The significance is more subtle than the comparison, and the significance really only plays a major role in a conclusion, but be on the lookout for a "So why is this important to the readers? Why should we care?" as you're analyzing and writing.

Hope that helped somewhat.

Thanks for the tips ;) , but I have sort of tried to put my ideas into words so here are a few thesis ideas. Tell me what you think about them; I'm open to suggestions.

To what extent is the theme of escapism exemplified in Kiss of the Spiderwoman and Siddhartha

- Siddhartha is trying to escape his body in order to reach enlightenment. Siddhartha also touches on the ways that regular people use to escape.

- Molina wants to escape reality where homosexuals like himself are crudely discriminated and socially imprisoned. He is both physically imprisoned, in jail, and mentally/socially.

To what extent & effect is stream of consciousness used in Siddhartha & Kiss of the Spider Woman

Comparing and contrasting Valentins and Siddharthas journey for sexual identity - this ones a little bit vague in Siddhartha since its only in one part of the book.

Edited by ocfx

Thanks for the tips ;) , but I have sort of tried to put my ideas into words so here are a few thesis ideas. Tell me what you think about them; I'm open to suggestions.

To what extent is the theme of escapism exemplified in Kiss of the Spiderwoman and Siddhartha

- Siddhartha is trying to escape his body in order to reach enlightenment. Siddhartha also touches on the ways that regular people use to escape.

- Molina wants to escape reality where homosexuals like himself are crudely discriminated and socially imprisoned. He is both physically imprisoned, in jail, and mentally/socially.

It seems like you have got enough in each novel to write on, so that is a good start. I think that you could alter your topic a bit though, rather than 'to what extent is escapsim exemplified', to something along the lines of 'how is the theme of escapism conveyed' or 'what is the significance of the theme of escapism'. I think that these topics would give your essay more direction and interest, rather than the current topic. It seems like you are exploring the use of the theme in the novel, but what exactly is the point you are trying to make? I think that 'to what extent' essays risk not getting to that point, whereas topics like the ones i've suggested allow for greater depth of analysis and thus allow your essay to reach that point.

To what extent & effect is stream of consciousness used in Siddhartha & Kiss of the Spider Woman

Without having read the books, it is hard for me to offer advice on this topic, but it seems to be quite focused. Again I would just change it to 'how' rather than 'extent and effect', but that's for more pedantic reasons.

Comparing and contrasting Valentins and Siddharthas journey for sexual identity - this ones a little bit vague in Siddhartha since its only in one part of the book.

I wouldn't go with this one if it's only in one part of the book; in a comparative world lit it is ideal for there to be ample material in each text, and if it is only present in one part of one of the books then it opens the essay up to being predominantly from one text.

I've written some suggestions in red. To me it sounds like the first topic would be the best, but you may have to narrow it down a bit.

Edited by laryxle