May 2010 Candidates Unite! - Chat thread

Peachez

Looking forward to exams with a mixture of dread and anticipation. One down already, French B SL. As for assignments, my school is pretty good at spreading out the workload, so we've already done our English A1 HL IOP, all of French, drafts of our History IA and TOK Essay (as well as TOK presentations,) our Type 1 Math SL IA, Group 4 project and some labs. The year ahead will be pretty tough, but manageable thanks to getting all of this out of the way in IB1.

Haha I don't have that much foresight! The good thing is that I only have to take four exams in May anddd they're pretty spaced out. But I do have a bunch of other exams in the first two weeks of May as well. Even more important the the IB many ways. =/ It's a safe bet to say I'll get the diploma. Will I even get something in the 30s? I'm trying not to care. I'm ambitious by nature, but I've learned to let some things go, so whatever.

Ugh IAs. For math, I did both of the IAs, but my teacher made me do one that was an old task so I have to redo it. I got a 16 on it, so it wasn't great, but it was good enough. Whatev.

History, I'm golden. English, just got the IOC & WL2. TOK, haven't done a thing lol. Bio, we'll probably do one or two more lab reports/practicals. And I have yet to start my EE.

It's gonna be super hectic, but I can't seem to care right now. All I know is that instead of blaming life of going by too fast, I should have slowed it down myself. A mistake I'm correcting. =)

As for advice: Don't let IB rule your life unless IB actually does rule your life. If that's you, I'm sorry. :) I guess play hard, study harder. This site's good for both. :)

I can't imagine doing actual revisions until late March or later, but by all means, start as early as you can. Pay attention in class. Don't skip classes unless you have to. Maintain a good bond with your IB class. If your handwriting sucks, then work on improving it. Examiners can only guess what you're thinking to some extent. :D

Hien, I don't know how else to call it :/

I wish my exams were spread out, which they aren't. I have an exam every day for the most part, I only have two one day breaks in between (- weekends). I hope I manage. Also, I am kind of looking forward to MOCKS because those will help me out studying for the Exams and spacing out my time during an actual exam.

I don't like how in some classes (ex. econ or bio or chem to some extent) you have to literally memorize the whole textbook.. (definitions, graphs etc.. but some of them involve logic, so thats good)

What was it called? Terrible memory.

Haha I don't think we have mocks. So no stress there. =)

And a 'good' schedule to me is only one subject per day. Plus I don't have any IB exams after I graduate high school. Anddd I don't even have to come to school for an entire week before I graduate because there aren't any exams I have to take that week either.

Haha I find the concept of preparing for exams that you haven't learned everything for strange. I'm not saying it's silly--it's just foreign to me.

Like how do I revise for bio or history or math when I haven't learned everything? I guess it's partially the lax education here. My mom's like "You have it so easy. We had to memorize every word on every page in our textbooks." But then she's like.. "You have to write essays?!" haha

Anyways, good luck. Procrastination's one of the ultimate obstacles. Eventually, you'll overcome it because you truly care. =)

I am not saying that I am studying for the exams yet, no no! I amjust completing my homework and for some reason it takes forever!

I will start studying for the exams during winter break most likely.. that way I will be more less ready for MOCKS and then after MOCKS I will know what bits I need to focus on, you know? But I'm just saying.. I don't know whether I will have enough will in me to waste my winter break for that.. although I must and I hope I will realize it then!

You probably don't really consider it to be "wasting" your break completely. I mean your education's just more important than that. It helps if you don't consider it a "waste," even subconsciously, because hopefully it'll help you in the future. If you don't think it will at all, you wouldn't do it, right? And I really hope I'm not sounding arrogant. I'd say "I/me/my" but I think that'd make me sound worse :)

Hopefully you get what I'm saying =)

Lol my "friend" just chewed me out for not spending enough time with him because I'm too focused on school. What the heck?! Where does he get off telling me I don't value him enough?! /End rant.

I procrastinate too much to lament spending all my time obsessing about school :P And good thing this is a chat thread bahaha

Here's something that works for me: There's a switch on my laptop that disconnects the wifi thing to my computer. I don't know how it works or what to call it, but it's a gift that I've just recently started taking advantage of. The bad thing is I'll need to send a teacher an email, and then I'll end up on all of these distracting sites :)

I am sorry to hear that.. some people just make the situation worse by their actions, don't you think?

In his case, he could try getting you out of doing all the homework, but rather hang out, I think.

Yeah.. I understand what you mean, I try keeping away from the computer unless I have to research something, or ask a question.. etc.. but when I do get on, I feel like there is some force that attracts me to the computer (internet, to be exact). Its horrible, but it is good to know that I am not the only one!

• 2 months later...

Hi everyone! I just joined the forum, but am in the same boat as you all exam-wise. I am taking: HL: Math, Physics, French B, History ; SL: English A1 and Chemistry. I've submitted EE and am done with Group 4 which rocks. Studying-wise, I am not going to start studying really hard until January because I have midterm exams to worry about first (and college apps). Nice to meet you all!

• 2 weeks later...

im 3k1yp2, and all i've taken is the physics sl which i got a 3 XD

so i'm 1of only 2 diploma candidates for c/o 2010 of my graduating class of 652. me an my buddy go to a reglar school with an IB program, so the classes are small; in fact i have a ib spanish 4 class all to myself which is lonely. I did my world Lit 2 and im workin on my tok essay right now. im pretty excited, yet im dreading it cus in addition to english, americas, spanish, math, and bio,, i have to take the ITGS exam and i'm also taking AP for bio and english. im a little nervous cuz my bio teacher sux an im pretty much on my own with my HL requirements. She lazy and doesn't really talk about IB since im mixed with AP bio...im still determined to get my diploma even tho the odds are against me...

• Like 1

im 3k1yp2, and all i've taken is the physics sl which i got a 3 XD

so i'm 1of only 2 diploma candidates for c/o 2010 of my graduating class of 652. me an my buddy go to a reglar school with an IB program, so the classes are small; in fact i have a ib spanish 4 class all to myself which is lonely. I did my world Lit 2 and im workin on my tok essay right now. im pretty excited, yet im dreading it cus in addition to english, americas, spanish, math, and bio,, i have to take the ITGS exam and i'm also taking AP for bio and english. im a little nervous cuz my bio teacher sux an im pretty much on my own with my HL requirements. She lazy and doesn't really talk about IB since im mixed with AP bio...im still determined to get my diploma even tho the odds are against me...

Wow.. only 2 diploma candidates this year? that is crazy and sounds very lonely XD

I don't think our school would even allow IB at the school if there were only 2 candidates.. it is basically a waste of money for the school.. and your teachers should be qualified to teach IB and stuff.. they need to go to summer prep courses.. they should know what they're teaching.

well, good luck with IB!

I, myself am struggling through IB and sometimes I even have doubts about getting my diploma.. but i try my best, study hard and hope to do well.