May 2010 Candidates Unite! - Chat thread

Peachez

I, myself am struggling through IB and sometimes I even have doubts about getting my diploma.. but i try my best, study hard and hope to do well.

Same here. My School has both AP and IB, but I chose IB. Just asking, is doing IB and not becoming getting the diploma worse than doing AP (assuming most of the tests are passed)

• Like 1

I was talking to the IB recruiter at the University of Tulsa. He said that he doesn't care if you got the diploma or not--just trying hard is good enough. U of Tulsa actively recruits IB candidates, if you're interested. XD

On the whole, in the US, I would say taking IB is better than taking AP when you have the chance to take both. If your school doesn't have IB, then APs are amazing. About getting the diploma, it's not like admissions people will know if you're getting the diploma or not when they admit you. And I doubt they'll reject you if you don't get a diploma. But I'm just talking about students living in and applying to colleges in the US.

AP/IB mixing isn't horrid. It's harder on the student, but it was good for me for physics because I took AP Phys B and the IB Phys SL exams and did fine on both. I'm taking IB Bio HL, but I plan on taking the AP Bio test as well. I don't know. Each test is different, and I don't suggest taking random AP tests in May of your 11th grade year because colleges can ask to see if you did poorly on those!

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I am going to Qatar in February for a debate competiton so I need to have Final Drafts of my World Lit, EE, A2 Courseworks and Film Independent Study before I leave...which is stressful. I will begin studying when I come back on the last week of February.

So far...

FINAL DRAFT FINISHED

Chemistry IA

Maths IA

TOK Presentation

History IA

FIRST DRAFT FINISHED

World Lit 1&2

Independent Study (nearly done)

Extended Essay

TOK Essay

A2 Coursework (nearly done)

NOT DONE

English IOP - which is tomorrow XD

Film Practical Project (finished filming, haven't edited or done the write-up)

so loads of stuff to do :D

At this point, I have very mixed feelings. My school's IB program is 4 years long, 2 Pre-IB and 2 IB. We've basically done most of the things we need to do. The only major assignments I have left are World Lit. 2, Math Studies Project, Spanish SL Individual IA, a final draft for my HL Psychology IA due Monday, and lastly HL Bio requirements.

I think I've done okay on some things, but what worries me is that almost all of my teachers are doubtful that my class( C/O 2010 with 138 students) are going to pass. They have actually been telling us we will all fail, and it's quite depressing. Sorry for the following rant haha: A lot of factors I think have really influenced us. We've gone through three guidance counselors, all our Biology teachers left last year, our ITGS teacher got arrested, our spanish teachers for the last three years have been poor(two specialized on French!), and other things.

The subjects I am probably most worried about is Biology and Spanish. I really am doubtful I will pass Biology, which is bad because it is my HL. I don't even know the state of our IA progress. Spanish, we took a couple practice IB exams for Paper 1 and I got a barely passing 4, the things I am most worried about are the IAs.

The one subject I am probably set on is Math Studies =).

• 3 months later...
Guest Xavi992

Hello all May 2010 IBers!

So this is our year, how ready are you for the EXAMS? What about your AIs?

Lets share some info and help out each other to get through the Exams.

yeah !!!!!!!!!!! I think i will pass all my exams. However, i am very afraid about physics

• 1 month later...

Hello all May 2010 IBers!

So this is our year, how ready are you for the EXAMS? What about your AIs?

Lets share some info and help out each other to get through the Exams.

yeah !!!!!!!!!!! I think i will pass all my exams. However, i am very afraid about physics

Agreed. I think on the Paper 3, there was a question worth 5 or 6 marks that I didn't even touch. I think Physics is the only one I'm really worried about. Even French went OK.

Well nothing I say now is going to change anything. Most of your papers have been graded, marks are ready to be posted, your IBCs have probably already gotten your marks already. Some candidates may already be jumping for joy.

Keep strong May 2010 candidates, victory shall be yours!

Good luck everyone! Congrats to people who got what they wanted! :P

If you didn't, major commiserations, but remember not to feel too disappointed in yourself that you forget to contact any Universities etc. -- if you've only just missed out on grades, chances are you're still in with a chance if you're proactive about it! If you're in the UK or applying to it, also start to check out and become familiar with Clearing as a potential option, as well as remarks (and retakes). You may feel crap but don't let things slip until you feel better (it might take too long... also there's always the chance that the reply you receive will make you feel better!!).

Also, if you're in or applying to the UK and, against the odds, did much better than anybody expected or predicted such that you feel you're now eligible to be on a different course or at a different University, don't forget to check out the option of Adjustment!

Neither Clearing nor Adjustment are likely to have openings for places which were originally extremely competitive (for instance applications for Veterinary Medicine, Law, Medicine, Oxbridge etc.), however it's still worth a look.

Theatre SL - 6

English SL - 6

Japanese AB - 7

Maths HL - 5

Physics HL - 5

Psychology HL - 5

EE - B, Tok - A =3

Overall =37

I'm so happy except for the fact that UCL wanted 6,6,5 at HL and I got 5,5,5. So not sure what's happening there :/

Congrats to everyone!!

COngrat!!! hope for the best and finger cross! :(

Pretty nervous, too bad my school has 300 people, maybe our co-ordinator would have bothered giving us our grades if there were so many emails to send.

Huh, my class is like 20 people, our IB coordinator could have sent it to us. But no. We all get to know in one hour and 32 minutes... Oh dear god.