How to approach drama presentations?

Yasmeen

So, the titles probably/hopefully make this pretty self-explanatory, but I've been given the above assignment for Tuesday and, since I haven't done drama for many years, I have no idea how to go about it (without ending up being awful). I have to act it out myself, too (and I'm the only girl in my class :) - but now I'm just whining!)

Any ideas/aid?

Thanks a lot in advance

It's only as bad as you make it. Don't worry too much. If it's just for English, I don't think you'd need any experience. It's more the thought process than the execution, or at least that's how it should work.

Can you be a bit more specific? "Reflecting on contemporary youth culture" is quite broad. Can you just do whatever? Is this kinda satirical? If you have some sort of base idea, I can help you refine it.

Edited by sweetnsimple786

It's only as bad as you make it. Don't worry too much. If it's just for English, I don't think you'd need any experience. It's more the thought process than the execution, or at least that's how it should work.

Can you be a bit more specific? "Reflecting on contemporary youth culture" is quite broad. Can you just do whatever? Is this kinda satirical? If you have some sort of base idea, I can help you refine it.

Ahh thanks very much for this, and for the very quick reply too. Basically, we're studying A Clockwork Orange at the moment, and I think they are using this as a kind of introduction to it. All else I have to add are the instructions: '..develop an individual piece as a young person reflecting on contemporary youth culture - imagine your friends, where you hang out, what you are doing, are you in any trouble etc.'

The examples that they give don't leave much to the imagination for me..

Okay. Are you sure your teacher is asking you to act a scene out? It seems weird to do it by yourself unless it's a monologue. I guess he/she is looking for some people to point out some of the bad things, so maybe something about how so many people do ridiculous things just to fit in? Can you say "baaa baaa"? [aka sheep, if you didn't catch that] :)

Okay. Are you sure your teacher is asking you to act a scene out? It seems weird to do it by yourself unless it's a monologue. I guess he/she is looking for some people to point out some of the bad things, so maybe something about how so many people do ridiculous things just to fit in? Can you say "baaa baaa"? [aka sheep, if you didn't catch that] :)

Loool, that's a good idea :S I might do that first and say 'just joking' and proceed with the real thing. :P

It has to be around 3 mins long ysee (I think). I guess you're right about pointing out some of the bad things. I was thinking before about presenting a girl who picks up a newspaper or something, reads out a bunch of negative headlines about youth and then thinks how alien it seems to her. But I don't see how that could last very long lol :S

Hmm.

Thanks a lot btw, I feel more confident dealing with it now! Although the acting thing still seems a bit 'yikes', lol - inevitably I spose...

I like your idea. I think it can definitely be three minutes. We all think we're immune to things like noncommunicable diseases, a sudden loss of wealth/luxury, car accidents, etc. It can't happen to us. So dangerous to think like that, yet I'm guilty of it, too.

Let's see... you could make it longer by going on to thinking that poverty is something found in third world countries. How people in your country can express their views and exercise their rights, etc, but then there are beggars not too far from you, and some groups of people are repressed. I don't know if this applies to you, but it's just some stuff I've been chewing on lately.