Math HL Requirements

caligula

I am starting my IB next year and not exactly sure yet if I should take mathematics in HL or SL. Does anybody know where I could get a list of what I am required to know before starting the HL course? i would be very grateful if somebody sent me a link or something.

Thank you

I don't know what you may need if you choose to attend Maths HL, as at my school we just took a placement test on everything we did the year before IB1. (It was really easy!)

But if you are not sure which one you need (I mean HL or SL) you should think what it is you want to study. Some unis at specific courses have as a requirement Maths HL, some others don't.

If you have already decided what you intend to study, for unis in the UK take a look at www.ucas.com . This may help with the course requirements :D

Hope it helps even a bit!

Mathematics HL is quite a difficult course. At my school, most of the students are not allowed to take Maths HL unless they have gotten an A/A* at IGCSE AND have done Additional Mathematics (also an IGCSE maths course but much more difficult. I'd say it would equate to IB Maths SL), therefore I do not recommend you take Maths at HL unless you really need it (for what you want to study at university i.e. engineering) or you're brilliant at maths!

Here is a link to the SL syllabus (I'd say if you knew all the theory for the SL, it would be a great start for HL):

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/IB_Mathematics_(SL)

they also have a few notes but they aren't complete.

Here is a link to the HL syllabus:

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/IB_Mathematics_(HL)

there is also a link here that says "introduction". Click on it to find more about HL mathematics.

Hope this helps :D

Good luck!

Taigan, my school and your school has the same requirements.

Although I did additional mathematics at IGCSE (Cambridge) and got a B, and an A at extended mathematics, I am currently doing Maths at SL in DP, even though I am looking forward to studying engineering.

Isn't Maths HL required for that?

Math HL isn't required in all universities for Engineering, although it would definitely help. That's why you really need to look at the individual universities you want to apply to in order to decided what subjects you need to take. Taking Maths HL if you do not need it is crazy, in my opinion.