Need 18 service hours in a week

Pwhdavey

So I've left CAS to the last minute. The due date for all evalutations and the essay etc is in 8 days. And I have 18 service hours to do. I talked to my coordinator..who didn't suggest anything realistic. I'm going to do some beach cleanups but that'll only get a few hours, won't even get me down to 10 probably. My supervisor for things like this will probably be my dad. Any other ideas? I just want easy things that I can do by myself, like beach cleanups.

Tutor people in your school, do it in the library in lunch time or your free periods or spares or whenever there's someone to supervise you. That way you'll have something to put down, and you needn't be studying the entire time.

Or go help clean up John Key's council house :D

I just want easy things that I can do by myself, like beach cleanups.

At this point you should realize that you've lost the privilege of wanting "easy things that you can do by yourself". Why not do some volunteer clean up work at your school - I'm sure that will be useful to the school and your IBC can sign you the hours for it.

Do you have friends whose families own businesses? I think the simplest thing to do would be to try to work somewhere without getting paid. I guess if I was desperate enough, I'd go to a local grocery store and ask the manager if I could help some employees with stocking or something for free. It'd help if you had contacts though.

Its too late to work in a charity shop. Today is already halfway through Saturday when I checked on here. But nevertheless I´m going to ring a store or two (the Salvation Army, and if that fails, then the supermarket I guess...) to see if I can do something for Sunday. Then on Friday its the day to hand in CAS.

Question: would teaching English online count as service? I know easily where to find interested partners and help them with written and voice chat.

Ok so neither of those things mentioned will work, because Sunday isn't a viable day.

Beach cleaning: I don't have special picker-upper things, is it orthodox to just walk down a beach carrying a plastic bag and putting rubbish into it with your hands? How can I maximise the time spent at beach cleaning - good excuses to increase my hours? With the beaches here, they aren't short petite little things. So I guess I could take an hour per beach but this ain't much.

Street cleaning: as above, but I definitely wouldn't do this during daylight, its too embrassing. I'm going to go out with my dog tonight and pick rubbish from the tracks and gutters for hopefully at least 1.5 hours. And I'm gonna try do it every night from now on. I'm going to walk all over my suburb. I know some good spots like sports grounds that would have litter. If I do an hour a night from today, thats...aw, only 6 hours, then handover time to coordinator. Maybe I'll make it 1.5 or two hours depending on my laziness. If so (sorry for rambling, you don't have to read, I'm just making calculations for myself) that could get 9-12 hours by Friday which is cool.

Teaching English online: okay so I don't have my coordinator's phone number (but I'll try find it online) which is a pain because there is not point emailing since they probably won't read it till Monday when I can actually approach directly, and today and tomorrow are better days for me instead of school week, unless I quit study completely until Friday, however, bear in mind I just had my practise exams and my predicted grade was less than passable material. I could spend an hour on it a day or more, getting 6-18 hours if I wanted. Yay...if only it had been approved.

All this time rambling and I could have been doing CAS. Anyways, thanks for the responses guys. Honestly last night I was panicking my head off and couldn't get to sleep as I thought it was more and more probable that I wouldn't get enough hours and would fail IB. But these suggestions have made me think differently, like the teaching English bit, as I have experience in this (however if I decided to do it as an activity I know how to make it a 'new' activity for me). And if I really push myself I can get 1-2 hours a night with just walking around my neighbour hood in the evening delittering the streets and parks. :P Phew. Time to find CAS coordinators phone number, plan my Sunday and walk the streets.

Other:

****!!!!!!!!!!!

OH MY GOD

I just got told that 8 other hours of my CAS doesn't count, that means I have 24.5 service hours to do in 5 days!!! Apparrntly it doesnt count coz it was done during school - yet my coordinator accepted it and didn't say that. Stuff him. FML. Honestly, if I finish CAS in 5 days I'm going to pout on my Facebook status for at least a week *shoots CAS in the head a gazillion times*

So how the hell do I get 24 hours in 5 days. My coordinator better accept the teaching english bull**** or he'll get a word from my parents.

It's just your own fault for leaving hours until now. Service hours are the easiest to get and there are dozens of places in NZ that need a helping hand. Call up some hospice or old aged home and volunteer your services for the next 5 days. You created the mess now you gotta suffer until you get out of it.

• Like 1

I second what fire.realm said. Another thing you could do is maybe help out at a restaurant (they usually need help). But the problem with might be convincing your IBC that they are actually service hours. Also, do you have some sort of soccer/football field in your area? You could ask the maintenance staff of the field if they want to have the grass cut or maybe get line markings done on the field.

Hopefully you can get your hours done. Best of luck.

It's definitely imperative that you keep good communication with your CAS Supervisor. Make sure that the service you're doing this time counts. Also, if you have a Guidance department, they usually get information about lots of Community Service opportunities. If you're really desperate, you may be able to ask whoever you're volunteering for to give you extra hours in exchange for something or simply making them up later. One thing that also hasn't been mentioned is knitting. I've caught wind of people knitting squares to make a quilt and donate to the homeless shelter. You can get several hours because knitting takes a long time.

Ha, hahahaha! I finished! Its all over!

I ended up getting my service hours done from the beach and street cleaning, and teaching English. My supervisor made a concession for that activity I did inside school to be counted to service (since he accepted the proposal), so that brought the hours down a bit.

YAY! *shoots CAS in the head a gazillion times*